Chapter 22: I Can Only Please One Person Per Day, And Today, I Choose Me

"Hello?"

"What took you so long?"

"I was in the shower."

"Oh."

"What's up?"

"I'm hauling your ass to the mall."

"Why?"

"We're going on a date."

Heat rushed to my cheeks, but I managed a reply, "Ha. Ha. Ha. Really. Why?"

"To buy you a christmas present."

"Jaden, it's three weeks before christmas."

"I know."

"Why are you taking me now? Plus, you can just buy me anything you want. I don't need to approve of it."

Jaden sighed, "Okay. But you're still coming with me to the mall."

"Sure. Why, though?"

"Just because."

"Okay then. When?"

"Ten minutes. I'll pick you up." 

"See ya!"

I hung up. I was getting the opportunity so many girls could only wish for - my crush was taking me out.

Cue squeals.

Actually, don't.

Well, I guess I'll take what I can get. But I mean it when I say I need to get over the guy. I still haven't figured out how to, though.

Meh.

Ten minutes later, Jaden was over. It was kind of weird, though, to have him pick me up. Because my mom was home, and to my knowledge, she still hadn't met Jaden. I didn't  want her hidden teenager to come out when she sees him, so when the doorbell rang, I ran to the stairs at top speed yelling that I'd get the door. She beat me to it, though. Before I even started my descent. I could roughly make her out, standing at the door. I couldn't see Jaden, though. She was blocking my view. Though it's funny how she got to the door so fast, because other times, she couldn't be more bothered to open the door. That woman.

"Hi," I head Jaden's voice. "Mrs. Jensen?"

"Yeah," my mom said, a little confusion lacing her tone. I could almost imagine her furrowing her brow. "Are you one of Preston's friends?" Oh, I know that tone. It's where she get's all inquisitive and starts poking the biceps of the unknown people. She doesn't do it voluntarily, it's just a bad habit. But it's annoying as hell. 

Jaden let out a small chuckle, probably wondering why she was poking him. I stayed by the stairs, wanting to listen to their conversation.

"No, actually," he said. "I'm here for Aubrey."

Silence. "Oh!" Cue wide eyes. "You're Jaden?"

Damn. Let it begin.

"Yes," he said. I could hear the guy smile.

Silence again. I think she was still poking him, because he chuckled a little more. 

"Well," she said. "You're more good-looking than Aubrey ever mentioned. And you have amazing biceps. She didn't mention that, either."

My mom thinks my crush is hot. Kill me now, won't you?

"Thank you, Mrs. Jensen. Aubrey couldn't be less bothered to notice my charisma, though."

"And why is that?"

"We're friends, Mrs. Jensen."

I could hear the slight discomfort dressing his voice, but that still didn't stop the smile in his voice.