Chapter 29: Faster Then Flash And Heavier Than Mr. Incredible

"I cannot, and I mean cannot take this anymore!"

"Cannot take what anymore?" I asked.

"I cannot, and I refuse to see you so sad all the goddamn time!"

"I'm not sad!"

"You think you aren't! You think you're completely over Jaden not talking to you, Aubrey! But you're not! You still have that dejected sense around you at all times. It's bothering you. I know it is, but you need to get over it. Properly."

"And how, exactly do you expect me to do that?"

"Talk to one of his friends and find out what the hell is wrong with him!"

"How will that help, Melody?"

"You'll understand why the hell he's avoiding you, okay? And then you'll be a little more at peace, okay?"

"Calm down, Mel. I'm fine. But if you're so convinced I'm not, I'll talk to Shane."

She nodded, "Good. Honestly, Aubrey, it's been a month since school started. Get it into your brain that he might not talk to you again. And I tell the truth here. I'm not just trying to scare you or anything. "

I smiled, ruffling her hair, "Good to know you care about me."

"Don't make me deal about it."

"Okay," I sang.

She sighed, "So what now?"

"Look," I said. "You may think I'm not happy, and maybe I'm not. But hey, Jaden and I were close, plus I have feelings for him. So, if one day, he suddenly decides to not talk to me anymore, it's disturbing, to a point. I'm still pretty unnerved about it, but I'll talk to Shane, if you think it'll make me a happier person."

"Nice Aubrey," she said, patting my head.

"Crazy Melody," I said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I pride myself for it," she said, sticking her chin out.

I shook my head before going back to the chemicals laid out in front of me. Yeah, we were in Chemistry class. Shane wasn't here, though. He wasn't at school today. 

Melody poked my arm.

"What?" I asked.

She shook her head, smiling, "Jeffery blew up his project again."

***

I have one word: Rain, even though pretty enjoyable, is fucking annoying when you have to walk home from school. Okay, so that was much more than one word, but hey, I'm too drenched to think straight. Plus, who has time to count words when raindrops are falling on your head faster than Flash, and heavier than Mr. Incredible?

Basically, I was walking home again, because Mom had so brilliantly read the weather forcest this morning and blatantly believed it and then taken my car to work. Sunny skies for the next forty-eight hours, my ass. Who ever believes the weather report? Also, Ian had football practice, so he couldn't take me home, like he usually did when I didn't have a car on my hands.

So here I was, desperately wanting to get home, just walking in the rain, with my phone accompanying my books in my not-so-waterproof backpack. I was desperate, yes, but not desperate enough to take the bus. Anything else, and I mean anything else would do. I'd go in a bullock cart if that were the case. But the bullock cart, being a bullock cart, would probably have no roof, so it wouldn't be much help. Sheesh. There's cold, uncomfortable rain pouring down my every inch, and all I can think of is bullock carts. I have succesfully made myself lose faith in humanity.