Chapter 39: What Makes You Think I'd Be Excited if You Were Gonna Kiss Me?

"Are the two of you together yet?"

I sighed, "Must you ask again and again?"

I could almost see her smirking, "Oh, honey, I am going to ask that question till I get a positive answer."

"Well, I doubt that's going to be anytime soon, so keep praying, I guess."

"You know Aubrey, if you hadn't ignored him for two days straight after your big confession, maybe he wouldn't have gotten so demotivated and just asked you out already."

"You know Melody, if you'd shut up about that, maybe I wouldn't be living in guilt. Plus, I thought I was being reasonable. He knew I had feelings for him, and he still made me endure all that pre-confession stress."

"Exactly Aubrey, you thought you were being reasonable. You weren't. Do I hear a door shutting? Are you going out?"

"Yep."

"Where, exactly are you going?"

"To meet Jaden."

Silence.

"Melody?"

"REALLY?!"

I chuckled, "Yeah, REALLY!"

"Oh my god, you're going to his house?"

"What's the big deal? I've been to his house before."

"Yeah, but not since the confession. You guys haven't met outside school for a week now. Oh, this is so exciting!"

"Nothing's going to happen, Mel. It's just going to be one awkward afternoon."

Okay, so it wasn't going to be awkward, but it wasn't necessarily going to be a jolly-good-at-ease afternoon, either. Jaden still hadn't asked me out, and when I even tried to make a move to just ask him, he'd change the topic or shush me without an explanation. I've been trying to understand this boy's thought process lately.

I can't.

He hasn't asked me, even though I finally told him that I liked him back, and we're always, I mean always flirting. It's beyond annoying, to have him there - to have him like me and to have him know that I like him, and to have him flirt with me, and to still not be able to call him my boyfriend. It feels kinda weird, saying that. Jaden, my boyfriend. Meh, I'll get used to it.

Given the chance, that is.

"It ain't gonna be awkward," she said. "It's gonna be you and Jaden sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes little Mia in her carriage! Little Mia interrupts your makeout session, and she ain't so cute anymore. You ignore the poor child and continue K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" she fed this extended version of horrible-ness to my ear, all in that stupid sing-song voice.

"You make terrible rhymes, you know that? I don't think I'll be able to sleep for a very long time, Mel."

"Good."

"I gotta go. I'll see you at school tomorrow, yeah?"

"Okay! Have fun! Wink!"

Sighing, I hung up and knocked on his door. It flew open not a second later, revealing Jaden, dressed in some jeans and a white T-shirt. He looked good, but that goes without saying.

"Hey."

"Hey," I greeted, stepping inside. As soon as my feet were in the house, one of them was attacked.