⊳ 𝐢𝐱. Invincibility

◤ chapter nine: ❛ invincibility ❜ ◢

chapter nine: ❛ invincibility ❜ ◢

         SHE ALWAYS FELT LIKE A KID, GOING BACK TO THE BOARDWALK WITH HER FRIENDS. She remembered swinging from her parents' arms and dragging them to the different booths and the ferris wheel, eyes lit up in excitement at the attractions. Stuffing herself full of sugar until she felt like she was going to vomit, hands sticky from cotton candy, and her face hurting by the end of the night because of how much she smiled.

And now as a teenager, going to the boardwalk was a mix of nostalgia and melancholy because all those memories were just memories and not reoccurring events. It wasn't like Toni was close with either of her parents. Her dad was always working and never seemed interested in his growing child except for some weekends when her mom forced him to be interested. And now Eden Alderson was her greatest enemy – beside Harry, of course – because she wanted to control her daughter's life.

There were no more family outings to the boardwalk, only skipping out on doing homework in favor of having a night of fun. Atlas led the pack, always the one in charge, with an easy smile and relaxed shoulders. Mona Ryder followed behind him, her platinum blonde hair in a pony tail, and Colton Pride by her side. He was devilishly handsome, with curly brown hair and a laugh that could make the most depressed of people crack a smile.

Toni wasn't afraid to admit that she had the biggest crush on him freshman year and part of her partying life began to try and get him to notice her. It worked, kind of, and they slept together but then decided that it didn't work. He was just okay in bed, not the best but not the worst, and the crush faded even if she still grew wet thinking oh, fuck me sometimes.

The trio was closer than Toni was to them. She really only hanged out with Atlas, who entertained her at bars and got her laid many times, earning his spot as her second best friend (Sabrina refused to let him be called best friend because that's what she was, so Toni called him her second best friend). She sometimes hanged out with Mona and Colton, and they were fine, but she really only came to spend time with Atlas.

"I am so doing the strength meter!" Atlas exclaimed as they walked onto the pier, wide grin.

Mona snorted. "You think you'll actually make it move? Puh-lease!"

Atlas retaliated by hitting her lightly in the arm, making her laugh loudly. "You never know. Maybe I'll be able to break the whole thing," he teased, winking at his friends.

"I don't know, man. I mean, no offense, but you don't exactly scream strength," Colton lightly teased him. He was always more delicate with his jokes, never wanting to make anyone feel bad.

"Oh, come on," Atlas rolled his eyes before looking at Toni, "You believe in me, right?"

He had wide eyes that bored into her soul, making her cave because he looked exactly like a helpless puppy dog. She shrugged, "I guess you can try."