⊳ 𝐱𝐢𝐢. Sending Off

◤ chapter twelve: ❛ sending off ❜ ◢

chapter twelve: ❛ sending off ❜ ◢

TONI WASN'T BORED, BUT SHE WAS SAD, AND WASN'T THAT CLOSE ENOUGH? No, she wasn't balling and sobbing and having herself a nice pity party, but she felt a somber mood when it was too early to have one. Really, seven a.m. was not the time to be feeling so down in the dumps especially because it was too early to even be awake or able to process any fucking emotion at all.

Yet, here she was, awake and functioning with a cup of coffee in her hands as she felt chill bumps on her skin because it was New York and that meant it was too fucking cold to even function sometimes. No, it wasn't as cold as it could be, she had seen lower temperatures, but she still hated it.

And Sabrina was biting her lip in front of her, her leg bouncing up and down nervously. She was the entire reason for Toni to be sad. Not because she was dying or had cancer or anything that tragic, but because she was leaving New York for a few days to go to D.C. for a stupid Decathlon competition. And it was so stupidly far, because why the fuck were they signed up for a competition in D.C. when the furthest they should go was New Jersey? But whatever, Toni wasn't in charge, so she was trying not to complain.

She knew it was only a few days, and Sabrina and her would still be Snapchatting through it all, but she still hated not having Sabrina in the same city as her to hang out with whenever. It was lonely even though she did have other people to hang out with. She just felt so dark without Sabrina and she hated it.

"Fuck, I'm too nervous for this," Sabrina swore, playing with her hair and knotting it up. Toni was quick to take her hands away from her hair and hold them.

She leaned in, her eyes baring into Sabrina's. "Listen to me, you've got this."

"I don't know about that," Sabrina shook her head, "I mean, of course we're gonna be practicing on the bus but I was too nervous to even look at anything last night and yesterday I had a Calc test so I was so busy studying for that that I didn't have for this the night before last and –"

"Sabrina," Toni said in a commanding tone, cutting the girl off, "Look at me: you've got this. I know you do. Who cares if you missed two nights of studying? You still had practice after school where you went over everything and, like you said, you're gonna be practicing on the bus. You'll be fine."

"But what if we aren't? Toni, I don't know if I can do this. You know I get stage fright," she whispered the last part, her voice low so that no one could hear her and begin to doubt her abilities. She always had a problem with people thinking she couldn't do something unless she was friends with you.

Toni sighed. God, why couldn't Sabrina see what she did? See that she was so fucking smart and had this in the bag – the other team wouldn't even know hit them! It was so easy for her to see this but Sabrina was completely blinded by her panic to see anything. It made her sad because her friend couldn't see how amazing and skilled she was.