⊳ 𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. Good Enough

◤ chapter twenty-two: ❛ good enough ❜ ◢

chapter twenty-two: ❛ good
enough ❜ ◢

HARRY'S NOT USED TO THIS, BUT HE'S SURE THAT HE STILL LOOKS LIKE HE'S HANDLING IT WITH CONFIDENCE. The way Toni sat close to him, until their thighs were touching and sometimes their hands brushed together and a little blush ran to his cheeks even though he knew it wasn't a forbidden thing anymore but something he could take for himself and hold even closer, sent his mind into a spiral.

          She's new to him, an enigma he was still trying to figure out because Toni smiled at him and then rolled her eyes. She cursed him out and then held his hand in her own. She hated him and then she wanted him. It was confusing, sending his mind all over the place like a ping-pong ball but it was wonderful and exhilarating and he wanted more. In some ways, she felt like an addiction he couldn't quite quit, but if she was a drug then she was the best one.

          But he wasn't used to being so close to someone, just like this. No other gain from it. He had others who sat close, who held his hand, reached for him and pulled him under the covers, but it was for money or fame. They wanted what he could give them, they wanted what he had, but they barely looked at him.

          Toni always looked him in the eyes, though. He didn't think they were anything special. Brown, plain, perfectly ordinary and nothing anyone wanted to stare at, but she into them with wonder and fondness that made him feel like he had the most beautiful eyes ever. She looked at him, saw him, not what he had or what she could gain, but him, and she still smiled and held his hand.

          He wasn't used to any of this, but he thought he handled it with ease and confidence. If there was anything his father taught him, it was confidence. Hold his shoulders high and his neck higher, looking a little down on others, and never fumbling even when he was nervous or uncomfortable. Even though he crouched into unknown territory, he didn't waver.

          Mary Jane sent him a look from the other side of the table, knowing and also telling him they needed to talk later, and he gave her a small nod before turning back to Toni. He was sure that Mary Jane was apprehensive about her, of course she would be, but Harry wasn't. Maybe he should, maybe he was a fool not to be, but he couldn't see anything worth being wary of.

          He should, maybe, but she saw him, and she wanted him, and she was nervous about him the same way he was with her, and that was enough. She brought him to Apple's Eye Diner, a place that obviously meant a lot to her, and she told him about her deepest and darkness secrets, she let him know her fuck ups and mistakes and someone who wanted to use him wouldn't do that.

          She wouldn't share all these things to then just turn her back on him, and it made him want her anymore. Maybe he should be scared that she would leave him, go back to Caden and hate herself for it, but he wasn't. He was sure about her, unlike anyone else.