⊳ 𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐯. A Night to Remember

◤ chapter twenty-four: ❛ a night to remember ❜ ◢

chapter twenty-four: ❛ a night to remember ❜ ◢

          TONI WAS, WITHOUT A DOUBT, A WORLD PRINCESS. Dressed to the nines, glam girl all around, with her hair down (not one out of place), she looked mesmerizing. At least, she thought she looked pretty damn good – or even better than good. She was astonishing, all dolled up like she was heading to the Met Gala but in reality all she was going to was a Homecoming dance.

         But it wasn't just that – there was so much more than that. It was dancing with her boyfriend, with her friends, laughing and eating beforehand. It was letting loose, getting high on the rush of them all there together looking their best rather than anything that could actually get her high.

         It was being a teenager. Just a teenager, sixteen and thriving, not sixteen going on ready for a husband. No, for one night, she could forget all the Alderson expectations, and she could forget that her mother was about to have a hard attack when Harry comes to pick her up, and instead she could enjoy looking so nice, and him looking better, and the two of them.

         And she could enjoy Sabrina and Atlas, and everyone else, and float away forever. For one night, she wouldn't have to think about her rising life, the build towards the peak, and instead she could just let loose. She wanted this. She craved this, more than she thought she ever could.

         It was just a dance, but it was also so much more than that. At least, it felt like more than that. It was her, sixteen, and him, seventeen, and everyone else. But it wasn't everything else.

         Her phone buzzed on her bed, and she rushed to get it, and smile quickly moving onto her face when she saw who it was from. Harry. He was almost there, and in a moment he was going to be at her door, and in another they were going to be in his car. She didn't think about the in between, only the end result, kissing him across the seats and listening to his music, closing her eyes and enjoying the night that was closing in.

         She came downstairs, and the first thing she saw was not the boy she so desperately wanted her eyes to meet, but instead her mother. Eden Alderson, with her hair just as Toni's, only dulled with some greys pouring in sections. She was sure it would be gone by the start of the next week, because Eden could never stand to watch herself grey away, and instead hide under dyes and the belief that she was still as young as she had always been.

         It was easier to trick herself into that.

         Undeniably, Toni received her eyes from her father – the same doe brown eyes that never cared about her always faced herself in the mirror – but everything else was Eden. The lips, the expressions, the slender noses. She was the spitting image of Eden Alderson, only younger and without those green eyes that she once tricked herself into believing cared.