37. Death is better than pain

"Hey" Manik greets Dr.Michael and settles on the chair across his table.

"Hy Manik. How are you doing ?" He asks with a smile plastered on his face.

"Fine" Manik replies although his facial expressions clearly indicate how stressed he is. Visiting the doctor of his girlfriend surely was leading to his high stress level.  "How was your tour ?" Manik asks. Michael went to his hometown for a week to attend a patient who needed his look after.

"It was good. The patient is better now" comes his reply "Anyways, how's Nandini ?" He questions.

"She pretends to be okay but little do I know that she has that short of oxygen attack at times." Manik explains with his hands and eyes stick to the paper weight kept on the table.

"I guessed it." Doctor sighs "I checked Nandini's reports that showed her progress after two months of her chemotherapy." He adds grabbing Manik's attention and curiosity.

"Has there been any progress." Manik looks restless

"Not as much as I though it would have." Manik doesn't know what to do. How to react after knowing that the very first step of his girlfriend's treatment went in vain.

"What will be the next step ?" Manik composes himself as now it is not the time to embrace his emotions.

"Radiotherapy won't be an option because the fluid hasn't reached to her spinal cord or brain." He answers "And secondly it might effect the healthy cells beside the tumor ones."

"Then how will she be okay ?" Manik himself doesn't know where his mind is driving towards. All the thoughts that he wanted to blow away keep on striking onto his cerebrum.

"Ibrutinib." He answers "it includes the drugs that have been proved to break down the cancerous cells" He further explains about the treatment. "It has been successful in many cases but there also have been cases where it didn't work." He let him know about the consequences

"Manik ! Nandini's cancer is worsening and that day is not far when there will be counted days for.." Like all other doctors even he is very much confident in telling the condition of his patient to her family.

"Her life." Manik completes and there isn't anyone who could describe what he feels. Only he knows which dark tunnel he's going through not knowing whether there is an opening at the end or not.

He feel himself downing into the lower rank of misery. If it would have him in his place of Nandini , he would have smilingly left the place but.

All the dreams and thoughts are being controlled by this but

But it's his Nandini in the place he never wanted her to be. Forget wanted he never could have imagined in his darkest nightmares. If nandini's life was swinging over the cliffhanger then the situation was no different for Manik , in fact it was worse. He is seeing someone precious to him dying.

"Thanks Doctor." Manik says and pushes the chair behind to make space for him to stand. He marches towards the door , stay there holding the door knob with door ajar. "Don't tell Nandini what you told me a few minutes back." Manik says and looks at Michael.

"I won't." Comes his reply. Manik leaves.

Walking through the corridors , he remembers the time he came here and came to know about Nandini's being a cancer patience.

He was broken then , he is broken now.

No difference.

*****