45. Obstacles

"Her condition is getting worse." The doctor says leaving me baffled. "We need to do another session of....." Nandini's doctor, Michael continues to tell me what needs to be done but I care less. This is something I never dreamt of.

Nandini having cancer shook me to the core but I never thought that this situation will eventually come. I always tried to overlook this thought. I thought that just like some miracle, she would be perfect.

But then nothing is perfect. How I always wanted everything that belongs to me to be perfect but she used to say that nothing in this entire world can be perfect.

I never imagined that my possession for perfection will lead me to this.

How could I not see it coming?

Rishab takes over the conversation with doctor that I eventually leave because I have got no more courage to listen to him. I feel everything going in a haze around me.

This is not what I asked for.

This is not what I wanted.

"Mr Malhotra." One of the nurses shakes me out of my thoughts and I look at her, too numb to answer her.

"It belongs to the patient." She says and hands me a packet. I take it and look through the transparent packet to find her watch,

The manan bracelet

And

The ring

I feel something wet on my cheeks only to realize that I have been holding up tears in my eyes from a long time.

No manik

No manik

You cannot fall weak.

I take out the ring from the packet and look closely at it as if living through all of my and Nandini's moments.

"Manik are you okay?" Navya keeps a hand on my shoulder asking for my well being and I hand over her the packet but keep the ring with me.

"These are Nandini's." I say not answering her question and quickly move out.

I need some air.

***

I move back into the hospital after almost 20 minutes.

"I strictly asked you to not give her any stress. Now see it lead to her this condition." The doctor says to Nandini's family who look disturbed.

After all Nandini is their most loved one.

"Just pray that her body responds to what we are trying to do." Dr. Michael says in a strict tone and leaves.

"You shouldn't have forced your decision on her. You will regret it." Rishab says to his father and sits on one of the benches.

"Oh my baby. What did she do to deserve this. She is the sweetest." Nandini's mom sobs keeping her head between her hands.

"Aunty she will be fine. She just needs you all to be beside her. Strong." Navya tries to console aunt whereas I stand seeing the whole scenario and don't know what to do.

After Aryaman's incident, we did not meet for two days. She was spending sometime with her family at their farmhouse.

She sounded so happy when I called her.

"Manik everything is getting back to normal." Nandini says sighing in relief.

"I am glad to hear that from you." I say smiling all the time. "When are you coming back? I already miss you." I ask and tell her my misery.