Chapter 38- You guys are my family.

"Honey come on! I want a picture of you coming down the stairs the last time as a high school student!" Mom called from living room as I slipped on my gown and grabbed my cap off my bed.

"I'm coming. I'm coming!" I laughed as I rushed around the room for my bag and phone. I looked over in the mirror and smiled at myself. I was dressed in a maroon colored cap and gown with my owl necklace that Rachel and I got to wear to graduation, swinging back and forth around my neck. My eyes spotted the picture of Rachel and I at the beach in ninth grade I gave a sad smile, running my thumb over the necklace. "Wish you were here, Rachel. I miss you so much." I sighed fighting back tears.

"Ella! Come on! We are going to be late!" Shane called from down stare and I rolled my eyes.

"Alright! I'm coming!" I yelled grabbing my bag and phone before rushing out the room. I started to walked down the stairs where Shane and mom was waiting for me. Mom eyes glossed over with tears as she looked up at me. "Awe mom! Don't cry." I cooed and stopped walking as she raised the camera.

She sniffled and wiped under her nose. "I'm not going to cry. I already promised you I wouldn't. You just...you...look.." She stammered, voice cracking.

"You look amazing, Ella." Shane finished for her, rubbing her back with a smile. Mom nodded and covered her face with camera to block her tears and to take a picture . I placed a hand on my hip and smiled brightly at her. The cam clicked telling me the picture was taken and mom pushed Shane towards me.

"Go up there a take a picture with your best friend. You guys deserve on with all the hell you have been through this year." She order and Shane chuckled a okay and jogged up the stairs.

'Hey." I smiled once he looked up me from the step below me.

He smiled in response and turned towards mom. I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned down to rest my head on his shoulder. He placed his hands on mine and smiled a cheesy grin.  I smiled softly and leaned my head on his, waiting for mom to take the picture. The camera clicked and mom lowered it, eyes puddled with tears and mouth formed into a week smile. 

"You okay, Ms. Hall. Something get in your eye?" Shane teased and mom gave a small laugh wiping under her eyes.

"Oh shut up." She laughed as we walked down the stairs.  I gave her a hug and laughed as she flicked Shane off for teasing her. "Now. I will see you guys at the school. Try not to be late alright?" She told us and we both nodded.

"I promise to get her there on time Ms. Hall. Don't worry." Shane assured her as we walked over to the door. She gave him a look before nodding.

"Alright. Alright. Now get out of here!" She laughed pushing us out the door. "I'll see you in a bit!"

I turned towards Shane once the door shut and screamed. "We're graduating!" and he laughed making a whooping sound!

"Who would ever thought after everything that happen we would be driving to graduation together?" He laughed getting into his truck.  I nodded and pulled myself into the truck while he added. "Sorry pretty boy couldn't be here."

"No you're not." I laughed and he gave a sheepish smile. "You are probably throwing a party in that head of yours." I added poking his head. He chuckled and started the truck.

"Okay maybe I'm not completely upset about him leaving but I am sad that you are sad. I hate seeing you upset and if him being here would make you smile again then I would pay for him to come back myself." He said backing out of the driveway.

I looked over at him, gushing at his words. He glanced over at me and smiled, resting his hand on my knee. "You are truly amazing, you know that Mills?" I said and he chuckled.