Chapter 18: Just Ask

Just a short update because I'd like to thank everyone that's been sending in covers and talking to me about this book. I've been finding it really hard to pick just one so I'm literally going to fill the bottom of this chapter with them all, just so you guys know how much I appreciate all of you and the efforts that you've made😊

Chapter 18 <> Just Ask

Sleeping on the floor was never a pleasant experience, especially for the back

Sleeping on the floor was never a pleasant experience, especially for the back. Nevertheless, CJ Jones had done it enough times in his life to grow acclimatised to the situation, and Veronica's luxury carpets were better than the House's mouldy wood anyway. He'd been in and out of sleep for the night, wanting to keep an eye on Cheryl due to the out of character tears that she'd shed just before bed.

Judging by the shade of light peeking through the corners of the curtains, CJ presumed that it was around half past four. He'd suffered bouts of insomnia throughout his life and had been up at certain times in the morning to know that a blue-ish light at that time of year indicated the hours between four and five (just before the sun begins to glow).

It had been about five minutes since he'd been woken up by the sound of Cheryl's faint sniffing; she'd obviously been trying to cover it up, but the life that CJ lived meant that being a light sleeper was a must. Consoling crying girls was never really something that CJ had prioritised mastering over the course of his teenage years, and boy was he wishing that he'd done so now. He sat up slowly and placed his back against the wall, contemplating whether or not to say something or just leave her be. It wasn't a situation that one could prepare for and he definitely wouldn't wish it on any other guy.

"I know you're watching me." Cheryl commented lowly, finishing with a small sniff as CJ recovered from his brief heart attack. Hearing guns go off didn't make his heart race as fast in his chest than Cheryl's sudden words.

"Shit, Cher," CJ played off his jumpy surprise with a quiet chuckle, moving from his position on the floor round to her side of the bed so that he could perch beside her. "You just made me jump out of my fuckin' skin, I hope you know that." He whispered, noting that she'd lay back down on her side so that her face was angled away from him; she was obviously trying to hide the signs of her tears, afraid that they were a form of weakness.

"I do know." Cheryl said, still hiding away - not from him - but from herself. "Did I wake you?"

"Kinda but I've been in and out of sleep all night so it doesn't matter." He answered honestly as he looked down at his hands. The innocence of the current situation was completely obliterated within seconds when CJ noticed minuscule remnants of Nick St. Clair's dirty blood dried up under his fingernails. Gross...was all CJ thought to himself, trying to discreetly pick it out without Cheryl noticing.

"CJ," She hummed before turning to look at him, making sure to wipe away any signs of tears from underneath her eyes. "Can you talk to me?"

"About what?"