Chapter 53: Hate Me

Chapter 53 <> Hate Me

There was going to be a war

There was going to be a war. It was undeniable. Everyone knew that the Serpents wouldn't simply go silently, even CJ Jones. But even after everything - after every single event in his life - CJ didn't know if he was ready to face both FP and Jughead from the opposing side. There were a number of Ghoulies that would be fighting to do a lot more than slightly injure; it was almost a given that Malachai would battle with the intention to kill or at least severely maim.

While many of the Ghoulies had chosen to occupy their night with continuing to take part in the dwindling riots across Riverdale, CJ had found solace in the Ho Zone. It had been empty since the riots had begun, but a handful of the girls including Sabrina and Nya had stuck around in order to look after the club. Friends were a sight for CJ's sore, anxious eyes. There were millions upon millions of thoughts running through his mind at speeds he couldn't even fathom, so Sabrina sitting him down on the corner of the main stage and perching on the wood beside him was a welcome distraction.

"Tell me everything." Sabrina demanded, wrapping her light grey hoodie around her body as her performance attire did little to stave off the tense chill.

"I got demoted like a little bitch." CJ sighed, looking down at his lap in thought. "Found out that that ass Penny Peabody is now dominatin' most of the Ghoulie business which means Malachai's sending them off the deep end again. After all the effort I put in, all the draining work, they're right back to where they left off."

"And you think everything you did was for nothing?" Sabrina summarised, tilting her head slightly to the left to rest on his shoulder.

"Sounds about right."

"Well even if it sounds right it's wrong." She stated confidently. "Think about what you did, CJ. You used the gang and their loyalty to develop this club. And yeah, it's a strip club on the Southside of Riverdale so it's going to be naturally seedy, but you actually made this a pretty good place. So what if you've lost unopposed leadership of the Ghoulies? You've still got this place - we're still by your side - and I'm sure you've still got your incredibly attractive girlfriend-"

"She's with the Serpents right now." CJ laughed humourlessly.

"Oh crap. Really? How did that happen?"

"She had my brother's back in the face of evil." He explained vaguely, making Sabrina frown in thought. "And I mean you could say that she was there for Topaz but-"

"Wait the hot girl with pink hair?" Sabrina cut in, an uncertain eagerness suddenly within her relaxing tone.

"Yeah that's the one." He chuckled. "But okay, Cheryl helped rescue her but I think she might have actually gone for me. Like, she knows about my relationship with my brother, and she is literally the shinin' example of why you should try and at least value your sibling..."