Chapter 48: Jones Brothers

Absolutely heartbreaking to hear of Luke Perry's sudden passing... it really does remind you to cherish every moment. RIP to an incredible actor and a fantastic man - there's no denying how much he'll be missed.

Chapter 48 <> Jones Brothers

CJ, being the best boyfriend she could and would ever have, treated Cheryl to a full breakfast at a local cafe a few days later since she had decided to quickly return to school

CJ, being the best boyfriend she could and would ever have, treated Cheryl to a full breakfast at a local cafe a few days later since she had decided to quickly return to school. After spending some time hidden away in the Southside apartment, Cheryl had had enough of his secretive nature regarding his work with the club and chose to return home to check on Nana Rose. The heat on her for her escape had seemingly cooled off quicker than a tourist in a pool at a holiday resort, meaning CJ contained little to no ammunition to goad Cheryl into moving in permanently.

It wasn't long before Cheryl had declared herself for the lead role in the musical Kevin Keller was preparing to produce, and CJ was unsurprised to find out that all of the usual suspects were also filling the roles. Cheryl had even attempted to rope him into returning to school in order to take part. Naturally, the effort was beyond unsuccessful, as the Jones brothers were massively alike in that aspect. Only when he realised that Toni Topaz would be taking part did CJ bother to cross over to the more privileged side of Riverdale; he couldn't be faulted for distrusting the two following the incident during the breakout.

Not one hundred percent trusting Cheryl made CJ feel painfully guilty, especially now that they were officially the town's 'hottest couple' in the words of Kevin Keller. But it would take time for CJ to be comfortable again while Cheryl was in close proximity to Toni. After all, Topaz was a Serpent by blood: she had absolutely no loyalties to the current head Ghoulie, even if he was the brother of the future Serpent King Jughead Jones.

Speaking of Jughead, it was an incredibly rare occurrence to see the Jones brothers together. No one was sure how they'd gravitated towards each other while they silently watched the rehearsal for the musical, but it was odd to say the least. Having unanticipated the sheer boredom inflicted upon him by the cast running lines for half an hour straight, CJ found himself getting distracted by his phone, which had been flashing repeatedly due to a text group chat that included himself, Sabrina, Nya, and Adam.

When Sabrina started spamming the group with a multitude of photographs of food she was consuming at a local restaurant in Greendale, CJ couldn't help but feel an uncomfortable hollowness just below his ribs. Not wanting to ruin Jughead's ridiculous attempt of a behind the scenes documentary, he quickly pulled up a list of nearby places on his phone in hopes that one of them would deliver during the day. Within minutes, CJ had stocked up his virtual cart with various forms of chicken, a large portion of fries, a side salad because he was clearly a vision of virtuous health... and a large lemonade to wash away the calorific sins.

He was well aware that Jughead had been watching the process out of the corner of his eye; apparently drooling over his hot girlfriend while she flirted with her former crush on stage quickly became exasperatingly old news... shocker, right?