Chapter 55: The Mystery

Chapter 55 <> The Mystery

"A strip club, Toni? You better have good reasoning for this otherwise I swear to all-"

"Relax," Toni drawled out, leaning back against the scruffily graffitied wall of the Ho Zone while Cheryl folded her arms in protest. The art depicted a devilish woman encompassed by a border of hot pink; there were pistols in each fist, and black wings above the hastily painted (lopsided) shoulders. "I've been here before, there's nothing to worry about." Okay, perhaps that was a slight embellishment. Visions of being surrounded by CJ's team at the time flashed across her mind as she looked across at her friend.

"Oh my god," Cheryl scoffed bitterly. "TMI, TT. TMI."

"Not in that way!" The Serpent retorted in defence. "No, this is where I had to come to get help when you went missing. It's like, a full circle sort of thing. Trust me." Her companion's pristine features scrunched up in a doubtful frown. To be fair, the Ho Zone was definitely not Cheryl's scene, and it was only logical to think that she would have reservations about entering such an establishment.

"I'm finding it hard to trust your judgement right now."

"It's fine," Toni reiterated. "There won't be a lot of people in there anyway. When I came for help rescuing you it was just staff - which is how I was introduced to Sabrina Spellman."

"Sabrina?"

"Yeah, Sabrina."

"Sabrina works here?"

"Well yeah," Toni shrugged, moving off of the wall. "She's one of CJ's dancers." The redhead froze at the phrasing. The realisation had already stuck, but the need to ask overwhelmed a simple thought process.

"What exactly do you mean by 'CJ's' dancer?" Was the tense response from Cheryl. CJ had never gone into detail with her about the nature of the club he ran; the fact that it had been revealed as the notorious Ho Zone was scandalous enough as it was.

"She works for him. If you didn't know that... how do you know Sabrina?"

"She's CJ's friend, of course I'm going to know Sabrina-"

"Speak of the devil and she shall appear." The two flinched at the sudden injection of a third voice. Sabrina had discreetly appeared in the doorway, coated in a black, silky robe that covered the majority of her entire being. Her straightened hair fell forward to frame her face while she moved to support herself on the doorframe, creating a confident visage that contrasted with the bickering duo. "And as much as I love my name, you guys have just worn it out and then some."

"I'm sorry, Britney Spears," Cheryl started sarcastically. "Perhaps if you and CJ had been more open with me about your activities after hours, there wouldn't have been such a confusion."

"Excuse me?" Sabrina laughed, not all all phased by the insult. Thick skin was a must, CJ had taught her the extent of that. "Blame your boyfriend, Barbie. I have nothing to do with what's shared during your pillow talk."

"Oh how about you hold your horses-"

"Uh, guys?" Toni cut in, extinguishing the start of a fiery argument. "Look, we were hoping for more of an Angel, but a devil will do I guess." She commented finally, giving the blonde girl a glowing smile. "You haven't heard from CJ, right?"

"Not today," Sabrina replied, an ounce of worry glossing over her gaze as she thought back to her last conversation with him. "Not hearing from him isn't something I usually worry about though, he can look out for himself."

"We think he's on death's door somewhere." Cheryl snapped. "Is that enough to concern you?" The dancer's face fell lower than they thought could be possible. Toni took the time to glance back to Cheryl, aware that the redhead was taking out her pain and impatience on Sabrina due to the latter's coy persona.

"Okay," Sabrina sighed deeply. "Why don't we catch up with everything inside? The office is free - maybe there'll even be something in there that will give us a clue regarding CJ's whereabouts."

"Wouldn't hurt to look." Toni muttered, following close behind Sabrina as they made their way inside. Cheryl hung back a moment, taking in the new surroundings as they trekked to CJ's office.

Once inside and caught up on events, Sabrina immediately began routing through the desk drawers while Toni searched the cupboard. Cheryl - never one for physical labour as noted when CJ was buried alive - stood off near the doorway and keenly watched the two. Her eyes widened slightly when Sabrina pulled out a gun and momentarily scanned it with a methodical gaze before putting it back where it came from.

It was obvious there was nothing of interest in his Ho Zone office. Best case scenario would have been a clue about contacting him while he was off the grid... but there was nothing. And the newly formed trio was back to square one.

"This is maddening!" Cheryl called out forcefully, throwing her arms up in exasperation. "The clock is ticking, and you know what they say about the best chance of finding missing people..."

"The first twenty four hours are the most important." Sabrina nodded grimly.

"We've still got another few hours at least." Toni reasoned, although she was internally as doubtful as the others. "There's gotta be something somewhere - people don't just go missing without a trace."

"Jason." Cheryl gasped, tone hollow. "He went missing, and he was found dead!"

"Crap," Sabrina mumbled. "I'm so sorry..."

"I refuse," Cheryl began, cutting herself off with a sharp breath to quell the building tears. "I refuse to have CJ resurface in a week with a bullet in his head - I can't go through that again, you have to understand." Toni and Sabrina glanced at each other before nodding in confirmation. Within moments, they had moved to either side of their companion and pulled her into a supportive embrace. Cheryl had never been much of a hugger, but the support of both Toni and Sabrina was more than welcome for the time being.

"I can't imagine the pain of losing a twin." Sabrina stated after a short silence, bending backwards to look Cheryl directly in the eye. "But I can imagine losing a dear friend, and that is way more than enough to make me devote myself to helping you find CJ. It might take us a day, two days, a week, maybe even a month, but we will get him back. You have my word."

"Mine as well." Toni added. "Charlie's Angels means you've got to have three. And while I'll need to drop in with the Serpents sometimes, the rest of my free time is for you guys. CJ helped me in a time of need while we were on opposing sides; now it's my time to help him."

"Whatever it takes?"

"Whatever it takes." Sabrina answered Cheryl's query without missing a beat. "We're hopelessly devoted to you... and CJ, of course."

"Now's not the time for a Grease reference, Spellman." Cheryl scoffed.

"CJ makes them all the time." The blonde defended, making the slight glare fall from Cheryl's features when she realised that Sabrina was right. CJ did love a good reference. "I figured it'd be a way to keep the good thoughts in our thoughts, you know?"

"I understand." Cheryl smiled slightly. "So, what's our next course of action my Angels?"