Chapter 35: Ballroom Candy

Chapter 35 <> Ballroom Candy

"CJ?" Sabrina questioned, having the sheer audacity to appear surprised

"Spellman." He said bluntly as he approached the pair. "Since when were you a fuckin' stripper? I thought you'd be one of those church girls with a stick up their ass."

"I've not got experience as an exotic dancer specifically, but I am a dancer." She clarified. "Your pal over here approached me outside my dance class and I was intrigued. Believe it or not I had no idea that you'd be here, especially running the place."

"I don't believe it for a second."

"Dude-"

"Shut up, Adam." CJ cut in, sparing the Ghoulie a mere glance before looking back to Sabrina. She certainly wasn't dressed the part; her outfit consisted of a black, long sleeved sweater (slightly cropped), and a pair of white jeans with rips on the knees. "So what dance do you do?"

"Ballroom-"

"You're fucking kiddin' me." He groaned, throwing his hands up to cover his face and pressing the palms over his eyes. His fingertips scraped at the roots of the front of his hair as he tried to comprehend the shocking situation. "How the hell can you transition from ballroom to strip club exotic? Why did you come with this idiot? This makes no sense."

"I can pick up routines really quickly." Sabrina reasoned with a hopeful smile. "Just have one of the girls teach me a couple and I'll be set to work."

"Surely you'd rather work somewhere other than here... there must be a pleasant little corner shop in Greendale that you can sell flowers on..."

"I like to get out of my comfort zone." She shrugged. "Expand my horizons."

"And gettin' felt up by old men is really gonna aid your character development, right?" CJ rolled his eyes. "Just go home Sabrina; you told me to find you and I didn't bother makin' the trip, surely that's enough of a message."

"But you looked me up." Sabrina smirked, stepping a little closer to him. "I sensed it."

"Really?" Adam asked from slightly behind her. "How?"

"Magic." She turned and responded in a whisper before resuming her previous conversation. "I monitored the traffic on my social media with a programme, as soon as I got a hit from a girl from Riverdale I knew you'd had someone on my case."

"You had balls. I wanted to know more."

"But you didn't find much, did you?" Sabrina queried knowingly. CJ folded his arms across his chest protectively as he looked down at her, waiting coolly for her next move. "Tell you what: you'll learn more if you give me the job."

"You really want it?" He asked, receiving a confident nod. "Fuck it, whatever, just don't come bitchin' to me unless you actually get hurt, alright? No whining and shit if a customer calls you a name you don't like or starts moving their hands in the middle of a private dance." CJ then turned to Adam, feeling a notable heaviness in his gut while his decision digested within. "Get her trainin' with Candy - she'll whip little miss ballroom over here into shape in no time." The blonde Ghoulie turned towards the empty stage area, gearing his vocal chords up in order to shout.

"YO, CANDY-"

"That's not my name, stupid asshole!" Could be heard faintly from behind the curtains, making CJ laugh to himself while Adam sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck.

"THERE'S A NEW GIRL OUT HERE THE BOSS WANTS YOU TO TEACH-"

"Alright, stop shouting!" The voice called out again. "Bring her through to the back!"

"Last chance to back out." CJ stated to Sabrina the moment she took a step back towards Adam.

"I'm here to stay... boss." She winked confidently before turning to follow her fellow blonde into the unknown, leaving CJ with an incredibly strong desire for a drink.

The days following Sabrina's appearance passed by ridiculously quickly. Adam had been practically salivating over her while she trained with Candy, an African American woman in her early twenties who's real name was Nya Valentine. Much to CJ's amusement, Sabrina had completely ignored his discreet advances, along with the lustful stares from around half of the Ghoulies that worked security.

It was fascinating to see a ballroom dancer at work, rapidly picking up exotic dancing with the help of a teacher with roughly three years of on-again-off-again experience. It took less than a week for Sabrina to become confident with some of the simple solo routines; her biggest issues were stage outfits, due to the fact that she was not used to revealing so much skin. CJ and Nya had assured her on multiple occasions that she would adjust and get used to the sensation of showing off her body the more that she danced.

The advice appeared to work, and Sabrina was tearing up the stage the very next week both by herself and alongside Nya. There had been a small boost in income for the club since Sabrina had started and CJ was thrilled that the hunt for a new dancer had been a success, even if it did turn out to be the unpredictable Greendale native.

Of course, there was a small nagging in the back of CJ's mind that repeatedly questioned what Cheryl would think. In hindsight, the worst possible thing for him to do was ignore the gut instinct, as it came back to bite him viciously in the ass when Sabrina came strolling into his office while he was on the phone to Riverdale High's HBIC.

"Hey so I was just-"

"Who is that?" CJ's blood ran as cold as Cheryl's tone. Sabrina froze mid step when she registered the fearful expression on her boss's face; never once had she seen him with such a look of worry... it both intrigued her and made her contemplate her own safety.

"Oh, she just works here," CJ stated, clearing his scratchy throat. Although it was the honest truth, the stuttering cough and hesitant answer definitely made it sound otherwise.

"Just works where?" Cheryl demanded, voice still icy.

"At the place I spend all my time runnin' Cher, don't get mad." Sabrina couldn't help but snort at the way he was grovelling and even added in a silent whipping gesture to wind CJ up further. She didn't know the girl he was talking to on the phone, but it was clear to Sabrina that whoever it was held possibly the biggest influence over someone that she'd ever witnessed. "Are you mad?"

"Only slightly." Cheryl responded, maintaining a neutral tone. "Make it up to me?"

"Of course," He said immediately. "Anythin' for you." Sabrina made a gagging noise at the comment and was swiftly cut off by a darkening glare.

"Be at Thistlehouse by nine. Don't keep me waiting and don't have too much fun with whoever that downgrade is, you ghoul."

"Okay-" The line cut off, leaving CJ to roll his eyes at Sabrina in annoyance.

"So who was that?" She drawled, taking a seat in front of the desk as she grinned knowingly.

"My girl who might not be my girl for much longer thanks to that shit you just pulled."

"That was nothing," Sabrina giggled. "I'm sure you'll make it up to her."

"Whatever." He grumbled, kicking his sneakered feet up on the desk. "Did you need somethin'? Or did you just barge in to be a pain in the ass?"

"Oh yeah, I just came to inquire about pay and when I'm actually getting my first cheque."

"Start of next week, like everyone else." CJ said bluntly. "And it's not a cheque - everyone gets cash here. Is that it?" She nodded, rising from the seat with a small bounce.

"Thank you." Sabrina said, stopping just short of the door so that she could look at him over her shoulder. "Good luck with your mystery girl tonight, I'm sure you'll smash it!"

"I fuckin' wish." CJ laughed humorously as the door slammed behind the blonde, mentally making a joke to himself about the painfully slow development of the physical aspect of his relationship with Cheryl. "Smash... yeah, maybe in my dreams."