Chapter 52: Potent Feelings

This chapter may feel slightly like a filler due to a last minute decision to break up this and the next one which will definitely be a shocker;) no spoilers though

Chapter 52 <> Potent Feelings

"I've been hearing all sorts of interesting shit about you holmes

"I've been hearing all sorts of interesting shit about you holmes." Malachai called out to an emerging CJ Jones over the raucous noise within the House of the Dead. It was bustling with an insane energy that the base had sorely missed for what seemed to be a lifetime yet CJ was left unaware and oblivious to the true nature of the precarious vibe, presuming that it was simply overflowing excitement of the majority of the Ghoulies finally being free from the clutches of the law.

"What sort of shit?" CJ questioned, approaching Malachai as the former jailbird rammed a pair of eccentric goggles over his curly hair.

"The good, bad, the ugly that's just like your face." CJ simply scoffed at the jest. "But the only thing that matters is that you kept my gang on lock, brother. And now that I'm back, with the lovely Miss Peabody to my right, you can step to my left and pick up a beautiful weapon: we've got a town to burn!" Malachai raised his voice during the final six words, causing aggressive cheers and howls to blast through the House as he finished with his devilish face paint. CJ's ears rung due to both the echoes of his peers and the simmering anger cooking deep within the pit of his stomach. Although he had not expected Malachai's return to be good news for his leadership, he could not help but be infuriated by the careless demotion and the inclusion of one Penny Peabody.

"What're we destroying?" CJ ground out finally, glaring directly at Penny who had situated herself in a dark corner close to her associate. He picked up one of the baseball bats, noticing that it had been modified so that there were rusty old nails within the splintered wood. The melee weapon's sole purpose was to without a doubt take a life; CJ had to wonder just how far the reformed gang were willing to go to get their revenge and make up for lost time.

"That stupid ass diner." Malachai responded eventually, gesturing for the gang to start moving out.

"Pop's?" The club owner questioned. "You serious?"

"Deadly." The leader stated. "Now come on, bitch. You're ridin' with me." CJ couldn't find it within himself to return the feral grin Malachai sent his way. The thought of brutalising one of the only places in which he held numerous positive memories brought him both agitation and grief. As he followed his crazed boss out of the building with the spiked bat in hand, CJ recalled all of the time he had spent in Pop's with Cheryl. He thought over the times she had deviously swiped a fry off of his plate while she believed he wasn't looking, and the day that she had decided to steal the cherry from off the top of his milkshake too. "You're quiet." Malachai commented as he rocketed off down the Southside roads, making fumes choke from the exhaust due to the neglect it had faced for quite a while.

"Just thinkin' man." CJ said.

"Well here," He muttered, pulling off his goggles and handing them to CJ. "Put these on - they give you that extra bit of confidence, you get me? Like you get to see with world through a whole new fucken' lens."