Chapter 30: Drama Influx

This chapter drove me up the wall. You can probably tell.

Chapter 30 <> Drama Influx

The festive season came to an end faster than CJ had anticipated

The festive season came to an end faster than CJ had anticipated. It was all thanks to Cheryl, really, as she had spent most of her free days at his apartment after discovering her mother's new occupation on Christmas Day. CJ truly enjoyed her company, but it was admittedly becoming challenging to keep his control of the Ho Zone under wraps while also conducting usual Ghoulie business. There was no opportunity for rest, even if it was the holiday season.

As the new year entered full swing, CJ found himself gradually drowning in swamps of work. His days were packed with a mix of Ho Zone, House of the Dead, and Cheryl; so when CJ received an email informing him about the closure of Southside High and his apparent transfer, he was both confused and infuriated. He was hoping that the school system had simply forgotten about him due to the abysmal attendance and grades; apparently Riverdale High hadn't been bothered about any of the reputation, and was now willing to accept him as a student for his final months of obligatory education.

It would certainly make CJ's life even more difficult, as it would be hard to deal with Riverdale High breathing down his neck on top of the rest of his business. The only positive benefit he could grasp from the change was the ability to see more of Cheryl in her HBIC environment. Whether she had been made aware of CJ's transfer was another matter, but he wouldn't bother to inform her unless he actually planned to show up.

CJ was currently seated alone at the Ho Zone's bar, scrolling through the lengthy email with an engraved scowl while Chris, the bartender, ran a wet rag along the sticky surface in front of him.

"You missed a spot." The current leader of the Ghoulies commented absentmindedly, flicking his eyes between the blemish and the screen of his phone.

"I'll get to it boss."

"Get it now." CJ instructed, closing the email. "Whatever that is, it's annoying the shit out of me." Instead of arguing, Chris discreetly rolled his pale blue eyes before targeting the stain that had offended the man in charge of his pay.

"Everything okay?" Chris questioned as he rubbed at the mark. "You seem a little tense."

"It's nothin' you need to worry about." CJ replied. "How's it on your end? Any new updates for me?"

"Confirmation that the source of information remains anonymous?"

"Naturally."

"Saw a suspicious looking kid in here a few nights ago talking to one of the girls." Chris said quietly. "It was pretty dark and he was smart enough not to come in his leather, but I'm about eighty percent sure there was a Serpent tattoo on his neck." CJ felt literally every muscle surrounding his shoulders tighten insurmountably; how had a Serpent with a tattoo on display been able to sneak through Ghoulie enforced security? It didn't make any sense... unless someone had smuggled him in.