Return of the wolf .... only i'm not alone part 2

Marlis POV

As the shiny silver four wheel parked I held my breath ... I could see the back of Marinas head - it's pretty hard to miss someone with hair as red as she has.

Flashback - 1 year ago..... one week before Marli went to Boarding school....

The wind slapped my face as I rode my bicycle down the hill and in through the Oakley High Schools gates. I was locking up my bike, thinking about how in ten days when I turned sixteen I was going to be able to ride my car legally and give Jenny and Marina rides. After all two my best friends had been giving me rides for a whole month in their new cars since they both turned sixteen two days apart as and a whole month before me and therefore could legally drive.

After I locked up my bike I scanned the crowd for their faces. Both Marina and Jenny hadn't picked up their phones when I rang to call them about a ride this morning. Jenny said she'd pick me up. Maybe Jenny forgot to charge her phone like always? Just then I heard the first bell ring and I made my way to the entrance of the school, up the white stone steps.

As I passed the glass doors I caught my reflection - a small, blond girl with short bobbed hair, she seemed to still have some baby fat on her frame and a mouth of braces stared back .

Walking through the door I saw them. Marina was reading leaning against some lockers , she had her long dark red hair in a messy bun and as always looked like a model with her skinny figure. Next to her Jenny was standing with her hand on her hip while using her phone; her pose accentuated her small curvy figure and her shoulder length black hair swung forward on her face as she looked at her phone.

I guess she didn't forget to charge it...

I called out to them and they looked up, unsmiling and nervously looked at each other and then glanced behind them. As if they were searching from reassurance?

I follow their glance to what was known as the IT crowd. They were a select group of students who were known for the fact that they hardly acknowledged or spoke to other students outside their close-knit group and all just happened to look like they'd been transplanted in Oakland off movie sets or fashion runways.

As I got closer they both started to look more and more uncomfortable.

" Hey Guys , did you guys forget to pick me up? " I said jokingly" Don't worry I got out my trusty bike -" the both of them responded with what I can only call pained looks. Marina, my usually always-smiling goofy friend gave me a tight smile that didn't reach her eyes " Umm Marli we didn't forget to pick you up."

She seemed to be looking anywhere but my face, averting eye contact like the sight of me was contagious. I didn't understand what this was all about.

I looked to Jenny " Huh? Ok well um.... Are you guys ok? " I asked.

Jenny didn't smile " Not really. You see this isn't ... I - we cant" jenny glanced behind her hesitantly and received a reassuring nod from one of the guys who looked like he'd fallen out of Abercrombie and Fitch ad. She turned back to me and closed her eyes " w we can't be friends. It isn't... Meant... it isn't right for you.. Or us.

Were not the same" Jenny opened her eyes, which were watering.

" What are you guys talking about?" I asked, " Were not the same? What's that supposed to mean?"

Marina went to touch my shoulder but then left her hand hanging in mid air ... was I contagious? What was going on?

" We cant be your friend anymore. Were with them."

She glanced back at the IT crowd again and received a nod

"I'm ssorry but it's not right to mix ...I'm sorry we just ccant." Marina swallowed and her voice wobbled "You have to understand it's..It's for the best Marli."

I stood there in shock ... my best friends... I felt tears prick at my eyes but I held them back "Them ... I thought you didn't like them - you both said they were creepy."

" That was before Marli" her voice broke " I'm so sorry" she said.

I didn't know what to say. My best friends were abandoning me...

" I see " was all I could say and with that they turned and walked away to the crowd that seemed to engulf my two friends, drawing them finally out of sight.

................ Present ...................

I watched as the door of the car opened and my two ex-friends got out aswell as three guys and another girl our age.

Marinas once long hair was cut short above her chin in a slightly gamine way and her dark green eyes seemed even brighter than I had remembered. She was holding hands with a tall, muscular blond haired guy and gazing adoringly at him.

Jenny exited on the other side of the car , her thick black hair was longer , down to her waist in a plait and she seemed to glide out of the car like a ballerina as she was helped out by a fairly short, skinny, dark spiky haired guy with similar piercing blue eyes to her.

The next guy to get out was probably the tallest out of all of them with dark brown hair and seemed to be in between the two other guys body weight. The last to leave the car was the other girl who looked about my height with medium length light brown hair and fair skin.

They all seemed to be bickering among themselves happily as they left the car, like a family or something. One little supermodel family. Though if my memory served me correctly than the infamous IT crowd was usually more than double this size ...

Then the girl with the light brown hair's head suddenly snapped up and she looked me straight in the eye as I leant against my car. I was about to turn away when she nudged and whispered something to Jenny who looked up to meet my gaze.

Jenny immediately stopped which caused the skinny guy to crash into her.

I watched as her face changed from shock to recognition and she mouthed "Marli" just before two cars sped past breaking our line of vision. I immediately took my chance in the blurr of the cars to turn and quickly walk into the school before I really embarrassed myself.

They probably thought I was a freak staring at them....

I shook myself off and headed to the main office to get my timetable.

There was a guy with his back to me arguing with one of the receptionists about the time of his English Lit class .... His voice seemed to reverberate around the room and travel through me it was so powerful, though he wasn't shouting just firmly stating his case of " family responsibilities"... I watched him from behind as he leaned on the desk, the muscles under his black t-shirt moved incredibly in fact I couldn't help noticing how the whole back of him looked incredible, especially the view of his black jeans but there was something familiar about him.

" Ms M Deschanel?" I looked up as the second receptionist called my name and I stepped up to her desk. The mystery guy was still arguing with the other receptionist as I filled in my enrolment form.

As I concentrated on ticking boxes I noticed how quiet the room was... but I could still sense something... " Ms Deschanel?" I looked up at the sour faced receptionist in front of me smiling at her "Mhm?"

" Is your timetable is correct?" she asked in monotone.

I looked down and tried to ignore the strange feeling I was being watched....

Suddenly I looked up to my left and there he was.

His face had changed since I'd last seen him just over a year ago, gotten longer, the lines of his face slightly sharper making him look older and temptingly dangerous.

The eyes were still the same wonderful shade of green, just a bit lighter than his sisters, contracting with his lightly tanned skin and even his body seemed to have somehow grown to become subtly more muscular and taller around about 6'3.

As I studied him I noticed he was staring at me, a slight smile played on the edge of his lips ....

(sorry if there are any spelling/grammar mistakes I didn't catch... :)