return of the wolf ....only i'm not alone part3

Marli's POV

I found myself struggling to speak his name under his gaze, until finally I spoke

"Trey"

The smile on his still perfect lips widened slightly and I could see a slight dimple on one side - how had I ever not noticed that?

" Well well if it isn't Marli Deschanel" he said slowly, his soft voice lilting his sentence into a playful half rhyme.

His green eyes continued to hold my gaze and I could feel my whole body tense and contract with the sound of him speaking my name. Crap I shouldn't feel this ... unnervingly vulnerable in front of him - I'd known Trey my whole life and he'd never had quite this strong of an effect on me.

The air between us seemed to crackle and grow heavier making the idea of leaving his presence feel impossible, as if an elastic band was stretched between us on the brink of snapping. I felt my teeth unconsciously bite on my lower lip, trying to conceal the tidal wave of emotions running through me.

Trey ran a hand through his dark hair slowly and stepped forward,

And I felt myself bite down harder on my lip trying to focus beyond his intense eyes...

I needed to stop this; this was Trey, Marina's older brother. I'd known him my whole life and growing up I'd spent most of my time playing with Marina and Jenny at their house. When we were younger he used to play pranks on all three of us.

When I was eleven he once put a bucket of custard over the top of Marinas bedroom door, balanced between the door and the frame, when I walked through it all the custard poured over me and the bucket fell on my head. I can still remember Treys face as he stood laughing with his best friends Ryan and Blake as I stood dripping in cold yellow custard.

Treys voice broke me out of my thoughts " There's something different about you Marli" his voice was unreadable as his eyes broke from mine, studying my face.

My muscles tensed and the same old paranoia I'd lived with since the day I'd turned sixteen coursed through me building a slow panic within me. Did he know? How could he know? I hadn't once changed since I got home. I'd made sure not to. He couldn't have seen me before that - no I reassured my self, no he'd have to know what to look for ......

" It's my hair, I changed it. It's longer now " I said shakily, I as I absentmindedly tugged on a piece of hair. Damn why was my voice sound so pathetic?

Treys half smile disappeared as he leaned forward; his hand gently pulled the tendril of hair out of my grasp and tucked it behind my ear, never touching my skin. I suddenly noticed the shifting of muscles on his forearm, beneath his tanned, golden skin, how strong he looked. Oh no ... I could feel the same slow burning tension in my back, building... I couldn't be, not here, it was like a force was pulling it out of me, pushing me over the edge making the change inevitable, my eyes began to blur slightly as my vision sharpened. Trey leant further in beside my face and I could feel the tension rippling between us like, sparks catching, mounting... my muscles tensed and I closed my eyes, desperately biting down on my lip when he spoke, softly " Yeah that too".

Then everything stopped. The air quietened and the fierce battle of control within my body cut short as if severed, I could even feel my eyes beneath my lids slowly changing back to their normal blue.

"Ehhhhheeeeerrrrrmmmm" a voice coughed beside me, but I refused to open my eyes.

"EEEHHHHEEERRRRMMM Ms Deschanel?"

I slowly opened my eyes to find myself standing alone in the office.

I let out a shaky breath I didn't even know I'd been holding.

Where had he gone? My stomach dropped with.... Relief or was it Disappointment?

I turned towards the receptionist who handed me my timetable with a raised eyebrow of disapproval.

I quickly took it and darted out of the room and into the corridor, which was empty.

The bell had already gone and everyone was in first period in his or her lessons.

I leant with my back against a locker and took a deep breath.

What had just happened in there? I was on the brink of changing revealing what I was in front of Tray and the receptionists!!

And the most terrifying thing about it wasn't even the fact that I couldn't stop it.

It was that I liked it.

I shook myself off. I had to get to my first class, which was English Literature with one of my favorite old teachers Mrs Goldenberg. I ran my hand through my hair and began to walk down the deserted hallway to the room 12.

I knocked on the door but Mrs Goldenberg was standing with her back to the door in the middle of dramatically reciting Shakespeare and hadn't heard me.

I couldn't help chuckling to myself as she gestured dramatically to her amused class.

I slowly opened the door, quietly closed it and began to slide into the desk closest to the door, which was thankfully completely empty.

Mrs Goldberg stopped reading and turned to face me " Marli? I didn't know you were back from boarding school! Are you back for good? "

I smiled " Yeah, I'm back for good"

Mrs Goldenberg beamed " Well that's good news " she turned to the class "I'm sure you all remember Marli" I turned in my seat and looked around the class ... I knew everyone in the class from before I'd left. Then my eyes collided with two very familiar faces. Marina and Jenny. They were sitting at the back I'd seen them with and where staring with me with open mouths.

I heard Everyone's murmured their "hey"s , and " Wow Marli you've changed" remarks.

Had I really changed that much?

I was broken from my thought by Mrs Goldenberg, "Marli now I don't think you should be sitting on your own on your first day back at Oakley do you?"

Actually I did want to sit on my own ... but she continued " Well I think that - yes there's a place at the back on Marina and Jenny's table."

I clenched my jaw ... sitting there with both of them not speaking to me. Ignoring me like they had in the days before I'd left. Who was I kidding it still felt like a blow to the stomach just remembering.

I slowly stood up and began walking towards their desk.

I braced myself; I'd survived the hell that were the changes I went through at boarding school alone and in secret every month. I could face this. Right?

The table was a square and the seat that was free was right next to Marina.

No. No way.

I wasn't doing that.

I watched the two of them stare at me expectantly as I walked up to the table and but my bag down. Marina was looking up at me with.. was that hope?

Then she looked confused and then crushed as I reached for the chair out from next to her and round to the only free side without one of them sitting on.

The tension on the table was so thick I'm surprised Ms Goldenberg and the class could continue with the lesson. Jenny was sitting opposite me and Marina was now to my right side. Both of them were staring at me, as if they were trying to memorize my face.

Then Marina spoke, breaking the silence, whispering

" Marli. We didn't think you were ever going to come back home again"

................................................................................................................................................

sorry if it seems a bit slow at the moment.

I think I might switch up the p.o.v soon ...

Hope u enjoyed ( sorry if there are any grammar/spelling mistakes)