Return of the wolf ....only i'm not alonepart15

Marli's pov

Recap :

I took a deep breath in and out and walked over to the open glass doors.

I took in everything I had previously been too happily distracted to notice before; the mouth-watering smell of barbecue, The vibrant colours of the female guests dresses glinting in the light, the sound of laughter and the fact that the catchy tune of Corrine Bailey Raes 'call me when you get this' was playing somewhere now.

I pasted on a smile and took a another slightly shakier deep breath and stepped out onto the porch, past the carving on the floor that said Jenny+Marli+Jenny = BFF and slowly made my way down the porch steps...

..............................................................

As I carefully walked down the white washed wooden steps, one at a time, I scanned the crowd for faces... My mother was sitting laughing with Marina and Treys mum at a table.... The long queue forming for the barbecue on one side..... Amidst a crowd, A slight glimpse of the back of a man with salt and pepper hair, which looked a lot like Marina and Treys dad.... A few of the local neighbours scattered about talking...

No Trey.

Then my eyes stopped at the back left corner of the garden where I could see a large round table had been set up and various members of the IT crowd were sitting around laughing together. Their group table was slightly shielded by surrounding trees, from which hung twinkling fairy lights on the branches, glittering above them. None of them were looking my way.

God, they all looked like supermodels that had miraculously broken out of some sort of billboard.

I kind of half expected some sort of fashion designer to run in and tell them all they were late for their runway appearances and they did not in fact belong in this slightly sleepy town.

The sheer attractiveness of them still made me do a double take.

As the saying goes Marli, maybe it was something in the water?

Whatever it was the general population, including me could use some!

Almost immediately my eyes caught Marina's flame red hair, it seemed to glow under the twinkling fairy lights and she was sitting on Ryan's lap, her dresses big shiny green skirt splayed around her, smiling down at him in what I can only describe as complete and utter blatant adoration.

And Ryan seemed to be returning the favour.

I felt a little intrusive, even quickly glancing at them from far away on the porch steps.

Where they together?

I felt myself half smile.

Marina had always fancied Ryan.

And I don't mean a fleeting, little school girl crush - It was a stare at you till my eyes hurt, doodle Mrs Ryan on all her books and constantly tell your best friends about any rumours involving him and everything he does when your around.

It was a big all time consuming crush for Marina, though luckily, her stalking was made really easy by the fact that as he was her older brothers best friend and was always at their house hanging out with Trey. I can't imagine what stalkerish stakeouts around town she would have forced Jenny and I into if he hadn't always hung out at Treys.

It had meant that a lot of the summer before I left was spent hanging around her house whilst she desperately tried to catch a glimpse of him.

Both Jenny and I had indulged this, partly because her house is so amazing to hang out in with it's large neat garden and heated swimming pool. Perfect for a lazy summer sunbathing and hanging out.