Chapter 24

(Belle's POV)

Just as Vanessa was done counting, we heard a huge boom, before red and orange colours flamed up in the air, exactly like a nuclear bomb. The flames lighted up the darkgrowing sky and made gleams on our faces. It was like watching the campfire back in the Glade. The time with my friends. Thomas, Minho, Chuck, Gally. My real friends.

"Goddammit!" Vanessa suddenly yelled and dragged me out of my thoughts. A helicopter flew up in the sky a few metres away from the burning building. I sooner or later found out what this was about.

"You are fucking insane!" I yelled as my brain finally put all the puzzle pieces together and figured out, that Vanessa was responsible for the explosion.

"I know. But it kinda failed." She almost sounded proud.

"You know, there was many innocent people in there, just doing their job. Just trying to survive!" I yelled mad at her. She was fucking crazy.

"Pffr, trust me. They can continue trying to survive. My stupid mother saved herself, but also them. Don't be a twat about it." She said and turned away from the building, walking out in the nowhere.

"What if they didn't make it out?!" I shouted, but Vanessa didn't quite listen. "You could've killed them!" Vanessa walked faster towards some kind of tunnel, with me jogging behind her.

"You know what that means?" I really tried to get her attention, but she wouldn't listen. "You would be exactly like your mother!"

"Sorry to disappoint you, but i didn't kill anyone, so i'm not like my mother. Prepare yourself," Vanessa loaded her gun, before she continued: "We'll split up. That'll make us faster." She fumbled with something in her bag before she handed me a flashlight.

"Be careful with it. Cranks doesn't like sun. And if something happens, i'm not coming back." Everything went so fast that i couldn't catch up with it.

"Wait, what? Why are we splitting up?" I asked Vanessa, who turned her flashlight on and walked fearless into the tunnel.

"This is so not gonna end well." I mumbled to myself as i got no answer from Vanessa. I took the way Vanessa wanted me too, and turned my flashlight on. I actually had no clue why Vanessa wanted us to split up. That was the baddest idea i've ever heard from Vanessa. I walked a while without signs of the sun or anything useful. I suddenly froze as i heard unwelcome sounds longer down my tunnel. My flashlight was currently shining on the cement floor. I slowly pointed it ahead of me, which i shouldn't have done. Four cranks immediately turned their heads at me, when the flashlight shined at them. The biggest one screamed shill and it hurt so bad in my ears. It made all four cranks run and so did i. I ran towards the way i came from, but stopped as i heard familiar shill screams.

"Vanessa!"