Chapter 25

(Belle's POV)

It took me some time to get near Vanessa. I had no idea which way i came from. I kept yelling at Vanessa, telling her to tell me the way, but all she did was shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. Reload. Repeat. I knew the cranks was right behind me, but all that mattered was Vanessa.

"Oh shit!" I noticed a crank a few metres away from me. I couldn't turn around and turn back, because of the cranks behind me, and i couldn't avoid the crank either.

"It's just one.." I pointed the trigger at the now running crank. I tried to aim at it's head, but my hands were shaking so much. That crank was a human. It once were.

But not anymore. I pulled the trigger and closed my eyes at the sound of the screaming crank. As i opened them again, the crank was lying completely still. I jumped over it and ran further. I noticed that it was all quiet except for my heavy breathing and running feet. I immediately recognized the tunnel as i turned a corner, and right there, in the middle of the long tunnel, i saw Vanessa. I was out of energy, but still ran as fast as possible towards her. I noticed that Vanessa was bleeding several places on her body, and i could see that she was bitten and scratched by cranks. Vanessa didn't notice me at first, but when she did she smiled. Her real smile. The smile i never got to experience before now.

"You came back for me." Vanessa said.

"Of course." I said and stroke her sweaty forehead.

"I'm sorry." She suddenly said.

"For what?" I said and laughed, trying to comfort and calm her.

"For what they did to you.." She said closed her eyes for a moment, before she opened them again and looked deeply into mine.

"What do you mean?" I said and looked confused at her.

"You don't remember him, do you?" She said and smiled, as a tear ran down her temple and landed in her ear. She was in a lot of pain, but didn't want to admit it, so i just kept our conversation going.

"Who?" I asked. Was she talking about my friends?

"Newt." The name echoed in my head. I just stood there frozen for a few seconds. I didn't remember him, but i remembered something. I decided to hold onto that name, as a little note in the back of my head.

"No." I answered Vanessa. She laughed, but her laugh wasn't filled with happiness, it was filled with disappointment. But of who? Me?

"I'm sorry." She said and did something unexpected, something i wasn't prepared for. She grabbed the gun from my hand and kicked me backwards with all the strength she had left. Everything happened in slow motion afterwards. Vanessa pointed the gun towards her temple and i reacted to late.

"I'm sorry."

"NO!" I yelled as i threw myself towards her, at the same time she pulled the trigger.