Chapter 29 - I Spy with my Eye

~*~*~*~Chamber of the Cosmos~*~*~*~

Romus and Idenia looked on over their uncle's shoulder as he watched the Viewing Mirror with glee in his eyes. He was still drinking from his large cup of ale that never seemed to run out of it's contents. As a group they all watched as Romus' Mortal and Kenra's favorite had their battle and the entire time Romus couldn't help but chew nervously on his thumbnail. How, he wanted to scream. How was this Mortal, even one that was favored by his uncle not only keeping up with his Mortal, but was toying with him?

Romus had taken a moment to peer into the life of this man called Shard, but the instant he tried to he felt some- horrible presence warding him off. He couldn't explain it very well, but the closest thing he could compare it to was when their other uncle Drian was around them. It was like- a living darkness that was ready to pounce on and devour him at even the slightest movement and it terrified him. Romus didn't know what it was that made him feel like that. But whatever it was just the knowledge that it, whatever it was, was there scared him enough that he didn't even want to think about trying to peer into Shard's past again. 

His uncle Kenra letting out a loud shout as Shard drew his spear snapped Romus back to the situation at hand. Kenra reached over and gave Romus a hard punch on the shoulder that nearly took the young Celestial off of his feet. "There it is!" He exclaimed pointing at the mirror before he took a massive drink of his cup. "That's Shard's signature weapon! He only draws it if he acknowledges the other as worthy."

"Worthy?" Romas asked rubbing the spot where his uncle had just hit him.

"Worthy of what?" His sister asked from her place on the other side of Kenra. 

Their uncle gave them both a confused look as if he couldn't quite believe what it was that he'd just heard. "Worthy of killing what else?" He said before gesturing with a nod. "Just watch. This fight won't last much longer now."

Idenia let out a laugh saying that it didn't matter how strong this Shard was, and that there was no way he'd be able to fight off someone that was powered by a Celestial. Romus though began to chew on his thumbnail once again. He wasn't nearly as confident in Idenia's claim as she was, especially after the story their uncle had told them about this man. Unlike his sister, Romus knew that their uncle Kenra wasn't one for such grand claims, he didn't care for stories. He said that stories were for those who couldn't make their own will come true. So for him to be so focused on Shard like he was, there was no way that Shard was just a normal man. He couldn't be!

He continued to watch the battle as it unfolded through the Viewing Mirror, his Mortal was still managing to hold his own but just barely. Romas wasn't a legendary warrior like his uncle, but even he could see that Shard was still playing with his Mortal. Romus' eyes went from the two dueling Mortals to his uncle in rapid succession, knowing that he might be able to glean something, a hint maybe of how the battle was going. He got his answer in the form of his uncle taking one last drink from his cup before it vanished which told Romus that he clearly thought this fight was over.

"And-" Kenra said drawing out the word making Romus lean forward, his gze bouncing back and forth between them anxiously. What did his uncle see? What did he see that Romus couldn't? "There!" Kenra said pointing just as a sound cut through the mirror and felt as though it struck him to his very core. So much in fact that when he heard it Romus' hand flew forward tearing his thumbnail from it's place. 

The burning pain of his raw flesh being exposed to the air was the only thing keeping him on his feet now. The sound of his blood falling to the nonexistent floor along with the unmistakable sound of flesh being pierced were the only things that could be heard with this vast chamber. He turned his head slowly not sure whether or not he'd be able to handle whatever was awaiting him in the mirror. He turned his attention to the two mortals and saw his worst nightmare. Shard had run his Mortal through with his spear, and Romus felt his heart drop. How, could this have happened! Not only have his Mortals been losing to Idenia's far more than he's won against them, but now his was being matched and beaten by these- These no named VERMIN!