Chapter 41 - Allurring

Avil was being pulled along by Yeva who was hurrying up the brick laid path, heading up to the portion of the township that lay at the top of the nearest plateau.  For all he tried, Avil couldn't see beyond the plateau, there were a stone wall built along the edge of the cliff that was hiding the majority of the buildings behind it. However beyond it he could see a structure that stood far taller than the others, a stone obelisk carved of a multiple different materials and decorated with a variety of differing gems. From the distance he could make out the varying patterns that the gems made. The red rubies were all straight lines and rectangles, the blue sapphires were smooth and rounded ovals, while the green emeralds were all rigid and oddly formed zigzags. All along the obelisk he could see that the gems were actually pulsating as though the stone structure itself had a heart beat of its own. 

"Where exactly are we going?" Avil asked still jogging after the smaller girl. "I mean what's up here?"

"The King's Monument of course." Yeva called back stopping so suddenly in front of a wall that Avil nearly ran right into her. "Hold on."

He managed to stop himself of course though just barely, she let go of his arm and raised her hand up and for the briefest of moments her hand shone with the same shimmering light that hung in the sky. And just like that the wall before them lit up with hundreds, no thousands of intricate runes, all of which reflected the prismatic glow of Yeva's hand. Before them was a large layered ring with many intricate lines connecting here and there. Yeva turned her own hands left, right, and left again, the lines and rings following her hand's movements until the lines all formed a straight line heading towards the center of the rings.

The moment the rings and lines all matched up with each other, did the ring show with a bright light and suddenly the rock wall vanished. The glowing rings had warped the stone, turning the wall into a fairly long tunnel through the cliff side. Avil looked on with wide eyes at the tunnel that'd just appeared before him, he'd heard that such doors like this existed but he'd never thought he'd actually get to see one in person. Allurrings is what they were called, doors that were hidden throughout the world, left by the Celestials themselves for the Mortals to use as gateways to hidden sanctuaries. Usually they required a certain type of spell to unlock but this one- Avil didn't even know where to begin with guessing how this one worked.

"An Allurring." He said unable to hide his amazement with the sight of the gateway.

"Is that what you call them in the Underworld?" Yeva asked letting her hand fall back to her side before pulling her sleeve back down to cover her hand. "We call them Aveiries. Gates left by the Avesia long ago before even the first Mortal drew breath. This one that guards our Kings' Monument can only be unlocked by one of the Lavians, it won't open for anyone else. " Yeva turned to look at Avil and gave him a smile. "Come on before it closes."

She began to walk inside and Avil hurried in right behind her, his eyes going all around to the tunnel as they did. Adorning the walls, floor, and ceiling he could see cyan colored markings of Celestin, the language of the Celestials. He'd seen it written in some of the books in his father's library, but he'd never really had any interest in studying it before. How he regretted that decision now, it's not everyday that one had the chance to read the markings left behind by the Celestials themselves. He continued to look on in awe at the tunnel and all the markings, wondering just what meaning they had behind them. Perhaps they told of a tale of how Tul'lavey came to be, or maybe they were prayers for the Lavians to utter while in this place. Whatever they meant, Avil could feel the power and authority radiating off of each and every one of them. That power and weight only growing stronger with each step he took closer to the exit of the tunnel.

"What's this one say?" Asked a voice that Avil recognized and he looked on ahead to the exit that still appeared to bright for him to make anything out while inside the darkness of the Allurring tunnel.