Chapter 45 - Dragon's Gift

Ruin was draining the life of the spawn he'd managed to capture in his left arm when Shadour reemerged from the ruins of the nearby house with the limp body of a spawn hanging from his hand. Ruin's rose colored eyes were glowing brightly as the energy of the spawn was visibly being pulled into his body. He took a deep breath and tossed the dried out husk of the spawn aside while shaking his head to clear his mind. That marked the 42nd spawn Ruin had captured and killed by this same method. He could still keep going like this but Ruin had to admit this wasn't going to work out for much longer if the spawns' numbers continued to grow like they were. 

He commanded Shadour to keep hunting more of them while Ruin himself flew into the air. He blinked once robbing the world of all it's red orbs that marked their shapes as being alive. He took a deep breath and slowly raised his arms above his head creating a black cloud above him that began to expand itself as Ruin extended his arms outward. The cloud was blotting out the light of the sun and dimming the shimmer of the sky, but as it continued to grow the spawn that were chasing after the people of the island paused and looked up to Ruin and the cloud he was creating. He knew that they wouldn't be able to resist looking up at him and the sheer amount of magic that he was using to do this. 

Making sure to take into account just where everything else that wasn't a spawn was, Ruin's pink eyes crackled with electricity before he closed his hands into fists. In that moment the cloud that Ruin had made began to unleash lightning bolts as frequently as if they were raindrops. Hundreds of thousands of lightning strikes hit the ground, buildings were more or less untouched but even Ruin couldn't control all of his lightning bolts. Strewn through all the streets were the charred bodies of more spawn, their bodies stained black by the lightning strikes. Yet as Ruin let his arms fall heavily to his sides he was glad to see that all the Lavians that'd been in the area were left untouched by the lightning bolts. 

He fell down to the ground and sucked in a deep breath running his hands over his white hair praying to all the gods that between he and Morgan that they'd be able to deal with these creatures before anything too bad happened. He took another deep breath before straightening up and he began to head towards the next island that he could feel the most spawn presence on.

~*~*~*~Avil~*~*~*~

Avil was helping to evacuate the city as they were all heading towards the Kings Monument, there were some of the Lavians that were helping the other citizens. Some were merely helping direct, others were taking a direct approach to help by fighting against the spawn. Avil would have been among those out fighting but he thought it better to make sure that the way through the Alluring was kept open. But he had to admit, seeing more and more people dressed in nothing more but aged leather and rusted armor rushing out to fight against the spawn was wearing on him. He didn't like the idea that there were others out there not as well equipped as he was going to fight against these monsters. 

He'd seen a youth no older than 14 run to his house much and reemerge with nothing but an old battered sword before charging into the city much to his mother's cries to wait. Make sure they don't cut off the opening to the gate, he told himself in his head as he shut his eyes which only served to amplify the screams of young men and women that were still in the city. If the spawn got this far he might be the only one here that can properly defend it... Stay here, he told himself though his jaw was taught and his teeth were beginning to ache with frustration. Another cry was heard in the city and Avil's body began to radiate very faintly with a red light.

How can I just stand here while they're out there fighting, he thought silently scolding himself as he opened his eyes just as more and more young people were rushing into the heart of town with their old and damaged weapons and armor. It was the only way they could fight back, he'd warned them about using magic against them and how they'd only get stronger if they did. Only use it if you're sure you can kill them, he'd said remembering his own mistakes less than a month ago. These people, these kids were taking that to heart and all the youth that wore red in their hair in honor of Kenra were bravely charging against the spawn.