Chapter 43 - First Unborn

Troy and the Wyn were racing through the streets while some of the townsfolk were still chasing after them. Normally Troy would be able to lose these people rather easily, but now that he had this Wyn to take care of he wasn't too sure he'd be able to just disappear like he normally would. He turned a sharp corner and ran down a narrow gap between two houses, just barely large enough for two people to walk down side by side. Normally when Troy came down this alley he'd just use his magic to go through the wall, but again this Wyn's presence kept that from happening. 

He was about to stop and help them get over when he suddenly felt two hands slip underneath his arms and before Troy could even process what was going on he was flying through the air. The wind rushed through his hair and made his loose tunic flap all around him as he and this Wyn cleared the highest building with ease. Troy's eyes grew wide at the sudden change in height as he was suddenly able to see all of this section of Auria in a much different light than he had before. It looked calm, calmer than it felt when you were down there walking among the often busy streets. The buildings all looked so small from way up here, almost as if they were children's toys made up of small blocks rather than stone bricks and wooden logs. 

It all seemed nice for him as he looked down at it all as if he had all the time in the world to simply appreciate this view. But of course that all came to a screeching halt when the air went from calming to rough as the wind flew back up to mark their fall back to the ground. Troy felt his insides twist and crawl into his chest, his heart jammed itself in his throat, and his eyes grew as wide as the autumn moons. He started to kick out and toss his arms about as if that were going to slow their descent. He knew the ways to manipulate the air in a way that would slow their fall but that knowledge was lost on him in this moment. 

Troy let out a cry as the ground and roofs of the buildings began to rush up towards them and scatter their bodies and innards all across their tops. The Wyn though let out a laugh as he tightened his grip on Troy before he called out a single word. "Bredil." He said and suddenly the wind around them began to spin forming a visible cone of air that slowed their descent to a near stop just before they touched down. 

The moment their feet hit the roof of the building did Troy jump from the Wyn's grasp, placing his hands on his knees trying to get his breathing under control. That old Under superstition about their lives flashing before their eyes held true for the most part. Troy's most cherished memories flew through his head but even more so were the regrets he'd had about all the things he'd never gotten to do or would've been able to do had they'd died just then. He was still composing himself when the Wyn let out a giggle turning to the infant dragon on his left shoulder.

"I got the word right Nim." He'd said and the dragon let out a positive chirping sound before nuzzling the Wyn's cheek. "A few more tries and we might be able to fly huh?"

Again the dragon let out a chirp but Troy couldn't have cared less right now as he stood up. "What in Drian's name are you?" He demanded looking at the Wyn and the dragon. "Aside from the fact that you didn't even know if you're word of Power would work, how in His name did you jump like that?"

The Wyn turned his head slightly. "I just jumped." He said before he gave a bright smile. "It was fun to be able to jump again. I like cities but there's no place to run around like the forest and mountains."

"You didn't answer my question Wyn." Troy said walking over to the monkey man trying to shove him only to have himself nearly thrown off his feet when he shoved. He wanted to say more but he bit his tongue back and gave him a sharp look. "What are you? Really, what are you, because a Wyn shouldn't be able to do what you just did unless you're- well unless you're something else, so what are you?"

Now the Wyn turned his head up a bit as if he were thinking about something. "Um, I think Morgan said we're Sources." The boy crossed his arms and looked deep in thought now. "I think she said I'm the Source of Stink? No- Source of String? No... Strength! That's it I'm the Source of Strength."