chapter 1 - When They Were Bad

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.    

Day One

Night - Cemetery

The camera panned across the cemetery and over the sidewalk along the border. Willow and Xander were walking together. Xander had a ice cream cone, taking an occasional lick.

"Okay, um, until we meet up with Eric and Carmen, we're playing the game, so..." Willow trailed off.

"It's your turn," Xander told her.

Willow nodded. "All right, okay, uh... 'in the few hours that we had together, we loved a lifetime's worth'."

"Terminator," Xander answered.

Willow smiled. "Good, great."

"Um, okay, I got one," Xander told her, imitating Charlton Heston. "'It's a madhouse! A mad--'"

Willow was so excited to answer she did before he could finish. "Planet of the Apes."

"Can I finish, please?" Xander asked.

Willow nodded, smiling. "Oh, sorry, go ahead."

Xander finished his imitation, then indicated she could answer. "'House!'"

"Planet of the Apes," Willow answered. "Okay, good, me, uh..."

"Well?" Xander asked.

"I'm thinking," Willow told him. "'Use the force, Luke'."

"Do I even have to dignify that with a guess?" Xander asked.

"I couldn't think of anything," Willow admitted. "It's a dumb game anyway."

"Well, what else do you wanna do until we meet up with Eric and Carmen?" Xander asked. "We already played rock, paper, scissors. My hands cramped up."

"Well, yes, if you're always scissors, of course your tendons are gonna strain," Willow told him.

Willow stepped over to the wall, hopping up to sit on it.

Xander suddenly got an idea. "I got a movie for you."

Xander tapped her nose with his ice cream.

Willow smiled in surprise. "Xander!"

"You're Amish," Xander told her. "You can't fight back 'cause you're Amish. I mock you with my ice cream cone, Amish guy."

"Witness," Willow answered. "My nose is cold."

"Let me get that for you," Xander told her, leaning in to lick off her nose.

Willow stopped him, smiling. "Xander."

"I'm sorry, I can't help myself," Xander told her. "Your nose looks so tasty."

Xander reached up with his napkin, gently wiping off her nose, taking a much longer than he needed to, looking in her eyes, brushing a hand against her cheek, starting to lean in for a kiss. Willow responded in kind, tilting her head. They stopped just short of making contact, lingering there for a moment.

Eric and Carmen were coming from the other direction to meet up with them, laughing. Xander and Willow pulled away before they could kiss, looking at them, who didn't notice that they had been about to kiss.

"Hey, guys," Carmen told them. "So sorry for being late. Eric and I had to go the long way around. The park was closed off for some reason."

"Maybe because you and Wyatt were practicing magic in the park," Eric told her. "Wrecked some kid things there. Can't blame you though. Considering how everything has been slow around here lately."