chapter 12 - Bad Eggs

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Morning - Sunnydale Mall

The low camera angle showed the legs of the people walking past the shops on the ground floor, panning up past a cowboy named Lyle and his girlfriend to the second floor and over the railing where Buffy, Brooke, Brady and Joyce were walking along. Joyce had a shopping bag in each hand.

"Come on, Mom, please," Buffy told her.

"I'm sorry, honey," Joyce told her.

"Don't you understand how important that is to Buffy?" Brady asked mockingly.

Buffy hit her brother for mocking her. "Shut up, Brady."

Brady laughed. "It's an outfit."

"An outfit that you may never buy," Joyce agreed.

"But I looked good in it," Buffy told them.

"You looked like a streetwalker," Joyce told her.

"But a thin streetwalker," Brooke told them. Joyce gave her a look. "That's probably not gonna help Buffy win the argument, is it?"

"You're just too young to wear that," Joyce told her.

"Yeah, and I'm gonna be too young to wear it until I'm too old to wear it," Buffy replied.

"That's the idea," Joyce admitted. "The stores are closing, and I still need to order the flyers for the opening." She considered, putting both bags in one hand. "Okay, I'll go to the printers and then get our food." She pulled out a slip of paper. "You three go to the tailor and pick up my outfit from Everyday Woman."

Brooke looked at the paper. "Everyday Woman?"

"Mm-hmm," Joyce answered. "There's the receipt."

"Why didn't you just go to Muu-Muus R Us?" Brady asked sarcastically.

"Do now, make fun of your mother later," Joyce told them, walking off.

The siblings reluctantly started for the tailors, walking toward the escalators, getting on to go to the ground floor, looking around idly as they descended, seeing Lyle and his girlfriend come up the other escalator.

Brooke was still looking around, noticing that Lyle's reflection was missing from the mirrors that lined the escalator corridor. "Brady, Buffy, look. Vampire."

They immediately turned, running up the escalator, weaving between the people coming down on it behind them.

Walkway

Lyle and the girl walked around a corner. The siblings quickly caught up, slowly walking past a bank of payphones by the restrooms, looking around for them, continuing down the hallway, hearing a pinball machine. Reaching the rear door of an arcade, they saw that the metal gate had been bent and forced upon.

Arcade

The siblings made way into arcade. The place was deserted, quiet except for the sound of the one machine. They walked around one side of a bank of game machines while the camera panned along the other.