chapter 20 - Go Fish

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Night - Sunnydale State Beach

(Song:) Mann's Chinese - Naked

There was a large party going on with about fifty students in attendance. The Scoobies sat together next to the fire.

"All I'm saying is, it's a stupid idea to have a victory party at the beach," Xander told them. "It's officially nippy." He looked down at himself. "So say my nips."

"Oh, come on," Zoey told them. "I think it's festive. A party with nature."

"Let me guess," Eric told her. "You're just saying that because it's the beach. And you love beach parties."

Zoey smirked. "Maybe."

Buffy smiled. "Oh, there's the old Zo we know. And love." Everyone smiled. "About time we saw this version back."

"No kidding," Brooke agreed. "And the party was the team's choice. It was their victory."

"Team?" Alice repeated. "Swim team." She chuckled. "Hardly what I'd call a team."

Eric pointed at them. "The Yankees. Abbott and Costello. The 'A'. Now, those were teams."

"Jealous?" Cordelia asked.

Brady smirked. "No. No disrespect to swimming, but I found football harder. Besides, look at Dodd McAlvy. Last month he's the freak with Jicama breath who waxes his back. He wins a few meets and suddenly inherits the cool gene?"

"Well, all I know is, my cheerleading squad wasted a lot of pep on losers," Cordelia told them. "It's about time our school excelled at something."

"Hmm," Buffy hummed. "You're forgetting our high mortality rate."

Cordelia smiled at that.

Xander pumped his fist. "We're number one!" He looked around. "Huh?"

Xander got a few positive responses from nearby students. The camera panned from them over to Carmen sitting by herself behind a pile of sand and staring out over the ocean with a tuned out-look on her face.

After a moment, another member of the swim team, Cameron approached her from behind. "Beautiful, isn't it?"

Carmen continued to look at the ocean. "Yeah, it's just so..."

"Eternal," Cameron suggested. "A true mother, giving birth to new life and devouring old." He sat behind Carmen. "Always adaptable and nurturing yet constant and merciless."

Carmen looked at him. "Boy, I was just gonna go with big and wet."

Cameron laughed. "Me and some of the other guys on the team, we come out here once a week to train in it. See, we swim against the current."

"Funny, that's how I feel most of the time," Carmen told him, turning to him. "So, Cameron Walker, you just won the state semifinals. What are you going to do next?"

Cameron smiled. "I'm going to hang on with Carmen Chase. Get to know her."

Carmen looked down for an instant. "Hey, pause that tape for a second."

"Hey, no pressure," Cameron told her. "I just like being around you, that's all."

They looked out over the ocean. Behind them, there was a lot of shouting and laughing.