chapter 18 - Killed By Death

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Night - Cemetery

The camera closed in on the top of the perimeter wall. Brooke and Alice used Guardian energy to levitate themselves over the wall, letting themselves down, coughing slightly. They had trouble keeping their balance, breathing heavily. Every now and then, they sniffled. They made their way through the cemetery. The camera followed them as they walked. They sensed something, trying to concentrate while they slowly approached a small mausoleum, circling around the corner, letting their hands glow with red Guardian energy to use against whoever was there, only to find the rest of the Scoobies.

Buffy and Brady were holding stakes, while Eric was holding a crossbow, raising them for a fight, while Carmen, Wyatt and Zoey prepared to use magic for a threat, only to stop when they saw Brooke and Alice.

Xander screamed, reflexively jumping back. Cordelia let out a high-pitched scream behind him. Willow was standing next to Cordy and Xander, the three of them instinctively holding up crosses.

"Non-vampires," Buffy told them. "Hey."

Willow put her cross away, looking at Brooke and Alice sternly. "Hi."

They all stepped out into the open.

"Brooke, Alice, my whole life just flashed before my eyes," Xander told them. "I gotta get me a life."

Brooke gestured to Xander, Willow and Cordelia. "What are they doing here?"

"What are you two doing here?" Zoey replied.

"Well, we're patrolling," Alice told them.

"Alice, Brooke, you're sick," Brady told them.

Alice sighed, shaking her head. "No, we feel fine."

"I mean, the world's spinning a little bit, but I like it, because it's kinda like a ride," Brooke told them.

"Wyatt and Giles think that you two being almost killed and fed on by vampires so much recently, Bianca and Drusilla mostly, who are stealing your Guardian energy and power or whatever, is making you sick," Carmen explained. "So, no, Alice, you and Brooke are not fine."

"Especially when some of those vampires like Bianca and Drusilla can use that Guardian energy back at you because of how many times they've faced and fed off of Guardians," Wyatt agreed.

"Meaning they can get into your heads like the Master did," Eric told them. "They could kill you."

"Especially when you're like this," Zoey agreed.

"Alice, Brooke, it's a serious deal," Cordelia told them. "We're all concerned about how gross you both look."

"I'm touched," Brooke told her with a hint of sarcasm. "Really."

"But we have work to do," Alice told them.

"Alice, come on," Xander told her. "One night of rest is not gonna kill you or Brooke."

"No, but it might kill somebody else," Alice told them.

"You mean Angel or Bianca or Drusilla might," Wyatt told them.

"Alice, Brooke, this is not the time to challenge Angel, Bianca or Dru for the ultimate fighting championship," Carmen told them.

"They're right," Willow told them in concern. "They're all at full strength."