chapter 2 - Some Assembly Required

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Night - Cemetery

Carmen was walking alone through the cemetery, sitting on top of a gravestone of Stephan Korshak, playing with a yo-yo. "Come on, Stephan, rise and shine. Some of us have a ton of trig homework waiting."

The camera cut to her right and approached her from behind.

Angel was revealed to be the one there. "Hey." Carmen jumped, startled, turning to face him. "Is this a bad time?"

"Are you crazy?" Carmen asked. "You don't just sneak up on a witch in a graveyard. You make noise when you walk. You stomp or something."

Angel smirked, slightly amused. "I heard you and Zoey were helping Buffy, Brooke, Brady, Alice and Wyatt with hunting."

Carmen nodded. "I'm supposed to be, but lazy bones here doesn't wanna come out and play."

"When you first wake up, it's a little disorienting," Angel explained. "He'll show."

Carmen looked at him curiously. "It's weird to think of you going through that."

"It's weird to go through," Angel replied. "So, uh, you're here alone?"

"Yeah," Carmen answered. "Why?"

"I just thought you'd have somebody with you," Angel answered. "Buffy, Brooke, Brady. Wyatt, Alice, Zoey."

"You worried about me being out here alone?" Carmen asked curiously.

"I know you can take care of yourself," Angel told her. Carmen smiled slightly, tilting her head, shrugging. Stephan had come out of the ground, looking at them from behind his gravestone, lunging at them. Carmen used her telekinesis power to freeze him in place, throwing him against the gravestone. "Case in point."

Stephan jumped up toward Angel, throwing a few punches. Angel easily blocked all of them, punching him in the face several times, kicking him in the jaw, sending him stumbling into a large adjacent gravestone. Stephan grabbed a shovel that was lying by the other gravestone, coming at them again, hitting Angel in the side of the face, knocking him onto his back, stepping toward Carmen, lunging forward. Carmen used her levitation power to jump over him, making him run past her, still in the air, turning to face him, kicking him in the head, making him fall. Stephan jumped up, trying to hit Carmen with the shovel. Carmen was too high in the air for him to reach, smirking smugly, chuckling as she flipped through the air closer to Stephan, kicking him to the ground, taking the shovel from him, breaking it over her knee, staking him in the heart, making him burst into ashes. Angel stood, holding the side of his head.

Carmen turned to face him. "You okay?"

Angel nodded. They started to walk along, but Carmen didn't see the open grave in front of her, falling into the grave with an open and empty coffin inside.

Angel turned back. "Now my turn to ask. You okay?"

"I'm fine," Carmen answered. "Gee, I wish people wouldn't leave open graves laying around like this."

Carmen stood slowly.

Angel looked around. "So. Another vampire has risen tonight."

Carmen peaked above the top of the empty grave. "I don't think so. Look at those tracks. Whoever was buried here didn't rise from this grave." Angel helped Carmen out of the grave. Carmen found a girl's shoe. "She was dragged from it."