chapter 7 - Lie to Me

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Night - Playground

The playground was deserted as the carousel slowly turned. The swings moved in the light evening breeze.

The only person there was a boy sitting on the jungle gym, waiting for his ride. His name was James. "Come on, Mom. She's always late."

The camera panned around him until Drusilla could be seen slowly walking toward him from behind.

"Are you lost?" Drusilla asked.

James looked back at her. "No. My mom's just supposed to pick me up is all."

James climbed out of the gym.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" Drusilla asked.

"No, thank you," James answered.

Drusilla touched the gym. "My mummy used to sing me to sleep at night." She slowly walked around the gym, singing. "Run and catch / The lamb is caught in the blackberry patch." She spoke. "She had the sweetest voice. What will your mummy sing when they find your body?"

James looked at her nervously. "I'm not supposed to talk to people."

"Oh, well, I'm not a person, see?" Drusilla asked. "So that's just--"

Wyatt suddenly stepped between Drusilla and James, facing James. "Run home."

James only hesitated for a moment before running off. Drusilla watched him run away in dismay. Wyatt took a deep breath, turning to face her.

Drusilla smiled. "At long last. Wyatt."

Wyatt rolled his eyes. "Drusilla."

Drusilla slowly approached. "Patrolling for your new living, are you? Do you remember the song mummy used to sing me pretty?"

"I remember," Wyatt answered.

Drusilla sensed he did. "Yes, you do."

Wyatt was not in the mood for games, but not being completely bland either. "Drusilla, leave here. I'm offering you that chance. Take Spike and get out."

"Or you'll kill us?" Drusilla asked, knowing. "No. No, you can't. You can't kill your brother, though you most certainly have the power to. Spike can't kill you either, as it were."

"No, he just wants to torment me," Wyatt replied. "If you don't leave, it'll go badly. For all of us."

Drusilla looked at him curiously. "You don't want to hurt Spike, but you will if you have to. You don't want to hurt me either, unless it's forced upon you. It's noble. Surprising, considering that you don't want to take away your brother's lover like he did to you, like he's trying to do again. You were so close to becoming something like us when your brother killed your first love. Poor dear. But you prevailed, shockingly. No girl would ever be able to survive being your love. No even her."

Brooke was on a building across the street from the park, patrolling.

Wyatt sat down on a bench. "Who?"

"Your girl," Drusilla answered. "The Guardian."

"Leave Brooke out of this," Wyatt told her.

Brooke sensed something, heading for the edge of the roof.