chapter 21 - Becoming, Part 1

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Flashback - 1753

Galway, Ireland

Night - Town Square

The camera looked straight don from above onto the the cobblestones. A lone rider on his horse passed underneath, and the camera followed them past a well.

Angelus: (voice over) "There's moments in your life that make you, that set the course of who you're gonna be. Sometimes they're little, subtle moments. Sometimes, they're not. I'll show you what I mean."

The horseman continued past a tavern on the far side of the square. The door opened, and a young drunk Angel and his drunk friend were thrown out.

Angel spoke with an Irish accent. "We'll be back when we've found a bit more cash money. Keep the girls warm."

The tavern proprietor slammed the door shut, and Angel pounded on it a couple of times.

Angel's friend moaned. "Let's go."

Angel staggered back over to him, putting his arm around him, as they walked with a definite sway in their step. "Come on, we'll sneak in and take some of me father's silver. He'll never miss it. He eats with his hands, the pig." His friend was too drunk to go on, fainting, falling out of Angel's arm to the pavement. Angel looked down at him. "Ah, why don't you rest right here?"

Angel took a look around, spotting a noble lady in a fancy period dress standing in an alley beyond an archway. The woman gave a slight backward glanced to be sure she had his attention, starting to walk further into the alley, disappearing around a corner from Angel's view. Angel followed her.

Alley

The woman continued her slow pace, looking up when Angel came through the archway, getting closer to the camera, becoming clear that she was Darla, her long curly blonde hair very nicely coiffed.

"So, I'd ask myself, what's a lady of your station doing alone in an alley with the reputation that this one has?" Angel asked.

Darla was still facing away from him. "Maybe she's lonely."

"In that case, I'd offer myself as escort to protect you from harm and to while away the dull hours," Angel offered.

Darla smirked. "You're very gracious."

Angel smiled drunkenly. "Hmm, it's often been said."

Darla turned to face him. "Are you certain you're up to the challenge?"

Angel approached her. "Milady, you'll find that with the exception of an honest day's work, there's no challenge I'm not prepared to face." He stopped in front of her, looking her in the eyes. "Oh, but you're a pretty thing. Where are you from?"

Darla smiled. "Around. Everywhere."

"I never been anywhere myself," Angel admitted. "Always wanted to see the world, but..."

"I could show you," Darla offered.

"Could you, then?" Angel asked.

Darla nodded. "Things you've never seen, never even heard of."