chapter 9 - What's My Line, Part 1

Into every generation, there are Chosen Ones. A Slayer will stand against the vampires, the demons, and the forces of darkness. With each Slayer comes a Guardian. They are protectors of the innocent.

Day One

Morning - Sunnydale High School - Student Lounge

A career fair was going on in the lounge. Willow walked into the hall from outside and looked around at some of the displays being set up on her way to sign up for the career aptitude test. The other Scoobies were already sitting at a table filling out their tests.

Xander read. "'Are you a people person, or do you prefer keeping your own company?' Well, what if I'm a people person who keeps his own company by default?"

Willow walked for their table with a test to join them.

"So, mark 'none of the above'," Buffy told him.

"Well, there are no boxes for 'none of the above'," Zoey told her. "That would introduce too many variables into their mushroom head, number-crunching little world."

Alice smirked in amusement. "I'm sensing bitterness."

"No, it's just these people can't tell from one multiple-choice test what we're gonna be doing for the rest of our lives," Zoey told them. "It's ridiculous."

Willow smiled. "I'm kinda curious to find out what sort of career I could have."

"What, and suck all the spontaneity out of being young and stupid?" Carmen asked. "I'd rather live in the dark."

"You're not gonna be young forever," Alice told them.

"Yes, but I'll always be stupid," Xander told them, smirking. "Okay, let's not all rush to disagree."

Eric looked at Xander seriously. "You're not stupid."

Xander gave him an acknowledging sarcastic grin, then looked up when he heard Cordelia.

Cordelia had a clipboard, taking her test as she walked into the lounge accompanied by two of her groupies. "'I aspire to help my fellow man.'" She marked her test. "Check. As long as he's not smelly, dirty or something gross."

Cordelia walked by their table.

"Cordelia Chase, always ready to give a helping hand to the rich and the pretty," Xander told her.

"Which, lucky me, excludes you," Cordelia replied. "Twice."

Xander had no comeback, so Cordelia just walked away followed closely by her cronies.

"Is murder always a crime?" Brady asked. "Do I like shrubs?"

"That's between you and your god," Eric told him.

"What'd you guys put?" Brady asked.

"I came down on the side of shrubs," Willow answered.

"Go with shrugs," Carmen told them. "Okay."

Brooke groaned in frustration. "Alice, Buffy and I shouldn't even be bothering with this. It's all mootville for us. No matter what our aptitude tests say, we already know our deal."

"Yep," Eric agreed. "High risk. Sub-minimum wage."

"Pointy wooden things..." Buffy added, holding her pencil like a stake.

"And Guardian powers," Willow finished.

"Then why are you even taking the test?" Zoey asked.

"It's Principal Snyder's hoop of the week," Buffy answered. "He's not happy unless we're jumping. Believe me, we would not be here otherwise."