Chapter One

01. Merlin's Arrival

Gaius was up in the small shelve built high above the floor, a rather old and falling apart staircase which leads up to it, with a platform to stand on while you find the right book. Magdalena was sitting on a small bed near the back of the large room, in a corner away from everything and anyone should Gaius have any patients, she was reading a book and ignored the sound of someone calling for Gaius assuming it was a patient. There was the sound of wood breaking she turned to watch time slow down as Gaius fell from the platform. 

A cot quickly moved under him, before time went back to normal and Gaius fell more or less safely on the cot. Magdalena stared over at the person he seemed familiar, "What did you just do?" Gaius demands staring at the raven-haired boy once he was standing. He became flustered as no words came from his mouth, "Tell me!"  

"I - I - I have no idea what happened," the boy says even though the three of them knew he had just used magic. 

"If anyone had seen that. . ." Gaius says looking around, seeing the know alert Magdalena watching the two of them with a worried glance. 

The boy began to blabber on, "Er, no! That- that was, that was nothing to do with me. That- that was..." 

"I know what it was! I just want to know where you learned how to do it!" Gaius says looking back at the boy who was shocked. 

"Nowhere," he claims though Gaius didn't believe it, Magdelena did, she was sure she knew this boy from somewhere.

"So how is it you know magic?" Gaius asks Magdelena decides to stand and walk closer to the men, she stands a nice distance from Gaius watching the two, the boy smiled widely at her which confirmed her suspicions of knowing him. She studied him more he had raven-hair which sat on his head flat some coming to cover part of his forehead. He had high cheekbones that were defined, he had blue eyes which shined almost magical on their own. 

"I have this letter," the boy says pulling a folded bit of parchment from the top of his sack, Gaius took it but still upset from the conversation. 

"I - I don't have my glasses," Gaius says, and the boy becomes rather disappointed or something along those lines. 

"I'm Merlin," the name sparked her memory as Magdelena smiled at Merlin realizing it was her brother. 

"Hunith's son?" Gaius asks looking back to see the  shy smile on the girls face before turning back to Merlin with a confused look, "You're not meant to be here till Wednesday." 

"It is Wednesday," Merlin says his smile faltering as he looks over to his sister to see her light chuckle at the old man's realization. Merlin is given his room but Magdelena is too into her story once again on her bed ignoring the noise they made or the outside noise the rest of the night, as she very seldom slept as she didn't really need sleep.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Merlin wakes and walks out to see his sister once again on her bed reading a book, but it was different than the one she had held when he had arrived yesterday. She seemed fully engrossed in the story, but Gaius broke his trance from his sister to his breakfast which was on the table. She looked up as the bucket was knocked from the table and Merlin bolted upright as he froze it. He let it drop as he stared at Gaius who looked just as shocked as he did.

"How did you do that? Did you incant a spell in your mind?" the older man asked staring at the younger boy.

"I don't know any spells," Merlin admits, his sister fully believed him their mother didn't know any magic and there was no way someone went to Ealdor, it was a small town almost on the edge of nowhere.