Chapter Twenty-One

21. An Escape To Be Proud Of

Magdelena was shocked as she looked up to see the Prince holding the key to the cell, "Merlin didn't have time to tell you our plan," he says more to himself than anyone. He quickly shakes his head and opens the cell door, "Don't be scared. I've sent word to your people, I'm taking you to them. You must come with me." When the boy doesn't move Magdelena pushes in and holds out her hand. 

'Please follow us,' she says the boy reaches up and grabs her hand, she pulls him up and follows the Prince as they make their way through the tunnels of the dungeons, "Were you not the one who captured the boy and Morgana on their first escape?"

"I never wanted to catch the boy but with the knights there I had to play my part," he says, "Now Morgana won't get punished as she is with the King now. While I am to be in bed sleeping." 

They come to the end of the tunnels a bared hole is the only thing between them and the outside. The Prince hears the knights getting closer cursing Merlin for being late, Magdelena can hear the boys calls for Emrys as the Druids called her brother. She was almost ready to blow the gate herself when " Hey!" sounded as Merlin appeared on the other side a goofy grin turned confused at the sight of Magdelena.

"Where the hell have you been?!" The Prince snapped quietly as he heard the knights getting closer to the four of them.

"I had trouble getting out of the castle," she could feel the boy he thought Merlin was lying and she wasn't sure why but she knew he must have had a reason to almost let the boy die and the Prince for being caught.

"Well, get this grate off, they're coming!" the Prince says Merlin does as told and with a tug, the gate is pulled out, and the three climb from the hole, "If my father asks where I am, I've gone on a hunting trip."

"No, let me take him back," Magdelena says, "You run to your father make yourself a mess," she tells the Prince who looks hesitant but with Merlin nodding his head in agreement he allows it.

"You'd better make yourself scarce, or they'll execute you in his place," he says to Merlin as he runs off towards the palace, Merlin following after him. She smiles at the boy as she grabs his hand and uses her magic to feel the Druids who were waiting before she made herself and the boy appear, the men looked happy to see the young boy as the small amount of smoke that hides them disappeared.

"We are forever indebted to you, for returning the boy to us," one says as the boy ran to be with his people and she smiled at him.

"It was an honor, one I hope I may repeat if the time comes," Magdelena says smiling at the boy, "Tell me Mordred do you know your destiny?"

"He has been told a few version of it," the same one who seemed to be the leader of the small group says, "If you knew the one where he is to kill Arthur Pendragon, why did you save him?"

"In hope of changing it," she says, "Arthur will be the king he is destined to be one day," she says no more as she disappears to reappear in Gaius' chambers, where Merlin was waiting looking a bit anxious until she was fully there. She smiled before heading over to her bed and deciding to read a book, something she has barely had time for these past weeks.

And the coming days we're going to be even more packed as Prince Arthur was going to be crowned Prince and heir to the throne, not that he wasn't before Uther just wanted to make it official in the eyes of Camelot and his council members. 

Magdelena headed to Uther's chambers the next morning gathering his clothes and placing them behind the screen before she went over to where he was laying on the bed. She poked his face a couple of times before she began to nudge him when he still didn't move she grabbed his blankets and ripped them off before she turned and threw open the curtains flooding his room with the light of the sun which was at the perfect angle to shine directly onto his face, "Curses woman!" he growls squinting in the light as he sat on the edge of his bed rubbing his head.

"I see you went through the trouble of reading my book," she hisses closing the book of death and placing it in his drawer somewhere hidden, "You should have taken it one chapter at a time."

"Where are my clothes?" he snaps she just points to the screen, he growls out something at her before going behind and getting dressed, she begins to grabs things that were out of place and puts them back or if they were clothes put them in a wicker basket so she could do his clothes later on, "We have to hurry, there is so much to do and little time to do it."

"Whatever," Magdelena sighs following the King who now seemed to be on a mission, even skipping his breakfast which had been sat on his table waiting for him to sit an eat it, "You didn't even eat your breakfast!" she snapped at him as she walked behind him trying to keep up with his fast walking pace which he had never done before.

"No time to eat, there is so much that has to be done before Arthur becomes the crowned Prince," Uther says with a thing some might have called a smile but Magdelena just thought it looked like he had to pass gas or had a terrible stomach ache, "Now hurry up and keep up. You are going to have a lot of things to do I hope you don't like sleep."

"I don't sleep," she spits at him but he seems unaffected by it, too caught up in the coronation or whatever you would call it for Arthur. She followed him into the council member her dream of her and the prince flashed into her head but she shook her head mentally and pushed the thought away focusing on what the council members were saying and what the king was saying as she tried to keep up and follow so there were no surprises on the special day.