Chapter Thirty-Six

36. The Truth Doth Set Ye Free

Merlin watched as the seven people walked past where he stood, where two men were escorted by four knights toward the center of the square being led by the executioner, "They're to be executed?" Merlin hated, however, the execution was paraded around as if it was something the people should be proud of.

"Yes, Merlin," Arthur says knowing where this was going he had spent so much time having Merlin as his servant he seemed to know the raven-haired man pretty well, or so the Prince would like to think.

"By order of the King?" Merlin asks still watching the men being led by the knights towards their death.

"They committed a serious crime," Arthur says though he didn't truly believe it, he could only understand the arresting part but killing them because they allowed a man to sleep in a bed which he paid for or feed him when they might not have known who the man was.

"Giving a man a bed for the night?!" Merlin asks turning to look at the blonde haired man in shock.

"Not a man. A sorcerer," Arthur tells him, having to portray the perfect Prince was getting harder and harder.

Merlin turns back toward the window staring at the men as he says softly, "Maybe they didn't know that."

"It is not for you to question my father's actions. Is that understood?" Arthur says getting defensive, Merlin was just a servant and his father was the king.

"Yes, Sire," Merlin says rather deflated but a thought suddenly pops in his head and he turns to the Prince, "Magdelena was sure flustered after you left, what did you say to rattle her cage? I have never seen someone able to make her so-so scared." 

"I just called her Mags," Arthur says wondering why she reacted the way she did, "She is your sister, you must know her well." 

"I mean not as much as one would think having grown up together for almost sixteen years," Merlin says as he tried to think about Magdelena he didn't really know much about her besides she loved to read, "Why do you ask?"

"I-I . . . she . . . we . . . you see," Arthur tries to form a sentence but he couldn't think of what he wanted to know or even why he was asking. 

Merlin decides to try his hand, "you saw the future didn't you?" Arthur stared at his servant and the others that were around. 

"I have no idea what you are talking about Merlin," Arthur says trying to cover up the fact that Merlin confirmed to him what he had seen was the future, not just some random dream which held no meaning, "Now go get on with whatever you're meant to be doing." 

That night Magdelena could sense death in the air she had been with Uther but as soon as the feeling of death came to her she left his side, she headed around the palace, until she came to the dungeons looking down to see Tom surrounded by knights, "NO!!!" she screams as a sword in run through him she runs down the stairs able to catch him before he fell onto the floor, "Who gave you the order to kill this man!?"

"The King," a knight said, the knights took a step back as a cold aura seemed to surround the girl who craddled the man the glare on her face was enough to bring any knight to submission.

She stood from the ground gentely placing the man on the floor, she runs up the stairs and runs all the way to where she knew Uther was. She stormed through the castle people jumped out of her way, shivering as she passed, she threw open the doors Uther and the Prince were in the middle of a conversation but stopped as the air grew cold, "I told you not to force my hand!" 

"Leave us," Uther says, his son sends a look at the woman who was fumming, as he passed her he could feel the coldness coming from her. Once the room was clear Uther stared at the woman, "I did nothing."

"You ordered Tom to be killed on sight," she hiss the venom struck him, they both had matching bruises, he was limping less that she was but she was no longer worried about her wounds. 

"Him running was further proof that he was guilty," Uther tells her almost in a smug voice, "He ran because he knew what he was doing and he knew he would be found guilty."

"No, he ran becuase you had already made up your mind, it wouldn't have mattered if you could have seen it with your own eyes. You marked him as guilty before he even had a chance," she says pointing a finger at him as she walked over to him, "There was no hope for him to be free, you were going to have him killed no matter what was said or found."

"That is beacause he was guilty," Uther hisses stepping closer so that there was barely any room between the two of them, "and he knew it."

"Wrong again," she says, "It is because you lose your mind when someone mentions that magic might have been used. It is because you cannot seem to think rationally when someone says magic. It is because you are blinded by hatered. It is because you fear that one day, someone is going to learn the truth of why you hate magic, and tell your son who looks up to you that you killed your own wife because you wanted an heir to the throne. Someone to carry on the Pendragon name." 

"Guards!" two knights enter ready to attack without drawing their weapons in case he was in trouble, "Chain this woman in the new cell." 

She stares at him confused as the knights drag her from the room, passing an angered Lady Morgana who was on a mission not noticing the woman being dragged. Down the stairs and into a far cell in the back she was chained. As soon as the metal was clasped she felt her stomach drop, her head grow heavy and fuzzy, her vision blurying, and her magic and powers becoming powerless. 

It wasn't until later than night that Uther entered looking at her with a smug expression, "I see you are beginning to feel the effects of those irons," he says brimming with joy at seeing her flushed against the wall her breathing labored, "I was reading your book when I found a seal, which if carved into any metal with the few words said over them, they were your only weakness. The best part is I will not feel the effects, they shall only be upon you."

"Y-you are a mad-madman, U-Uther," she says her voice slightly slurred as she spoke. 

"Let us see how you handle a few days here," he says an evil smirk on his face as he looked down at his accoumplishment with pride, even more so as she fell to the floor onto her hands and knees. 

"Y-you can-cannot leave-leave me here," she says knowing that he never finished the passage of the book, he saw the words only weakness and skipped to the hoe to section not bothering to read what will happen to her after a forlong exposure.

"Watch me," he says heading out the door, "Allow no one to enter this cell. I shall return myself to release her." his footsteps retreated as he left her there she screamed his name twice before she could no longer produce enough air to scream anymore.