Chapter Six

06. What Happens When A Man Comes Close To Death With Death Nearby

It was the second day of the tournament, Lady Morgana and Gwen allowed Magdelena to wear her normal clothes to the tournament this day, and for that, she was already in a better mood. She watched as the Knights won, one after another, then Sir Valiant came on he was fighting a Sir Ewan, she watched as the other knight is pinned under the shield, she feels the magic come from the shield, she can hear Sir Valiant say 'Strike him.' before he stands and Sir Ewan stays there still. 

She clenches her hands into fists and closes her eyes as she feels his life being drained, she feels him close to death, but it was too early he was not meant to die. She quickly stands from her spot and walks past a confused and worried Gwen and Lady Morgana, the King catches sight of the girl as she walks past him being sure to not get close to him as she presses herself against the wood that forms the seats. He sees her arrive at the entrance of the fighting grounds, there was something about her, her pale skin seemed to glow and her eyes that he could seem from here looked like a dying fire.

Gaius gets some Knight of Camelot to help him get Sir Ewan to his chambers, Magdelena walks next to Gaius asking him questions and telling him what she felt in a hushed whisper so the knights that were in front of them couldn't hear their conversation. Once they arrived in the chambers and the knights placed him on one of the cots they nodded their heads in farewell and headed back to where they were before Gaius asked for help. 

"Maggie, I need you to go fetch me some water," Gaius says she says nothing, grabbing a nearby bucket she leaves the chambers and heads into town towards the well. She pumps some water into the bucket before she makes her way back heading to Gaius' chambers. She was almost there when she felt the familiar sick feeling from behind her, she pretended not to notice like anyone who was normal would. 

"That bucket looks rather heavy," he says she comes to a stop not bothering to fake a jump or scare as his aura was extremely off-putting, "Where would you be heading with a bucket of water?"

"Gaius, the Court Physician, he is caring for Sir Ewan, the man you fought today," she says Sir Valiant gives her a look as if asking if she was accusing him of something, "I guess you don't know your own strength. But I am sure none truly learn that until it is too late for them to make something good from the power."

"Yes, it is unfortunate whatever happened to Ewan, I simply had him under my shield and when I got up as the winner, he didn't follow, I didn't notice till I was off and turned to commend him on his fighting," she knows that was a falsehood, she watched him glance at the man before he walked off the court, "You are the one who held a sword to my throat. Threaten any other knights lately."

"Of course not, why would I threaten honorable men who fight to keep their country's safe?" she asks tilting her head in a questioning manner, but her voice held sarcasm and Sir Valiant narrowed his eyes at her, "If you will excuse me, Sir Valiant, I must get back to Gaius." she turns to leave taking only a few steps before he grabs the bucket and walks next to her. 

"Allow me to help," he says walking next to her close enough so that every few steps his shoulder would brush hers, his hands would touch her hand which hung at her side. His aura was nauseating but his touch sent her into a anger that she hadn't felt before, "After all it was my strength that put Ewan where he is."

They said nothing to each other until the reached the chambers, she grabbed the bucket once more. She went to enter but before she could leave Sir Valiant grabbed her hand and placed a kiss on her knuckles, she kept her face impassive until she was in the chambers with the door closed and she could sense he was far away. She wiped her hand on her dress with a disgusted face, earning curious glances from Gaius and Merlin who was doing his chores.