Chapter Forty

40. . . . And Into The Fire

It had grown dark since Merlin had left Uther had been by Arthur side, Gaius entered with Magdelena beside him Gaius goes to speak but she goes forwards and places a hand on his shoulder, "Uther please go to your chambers and sleep, Gaius has a sleeping draught all prepared for you," she sees him open his mouth to protest but she speaks before he had the chance, "I will watch over him all night all morning, the entire next day and the day after that. I will keep him from death for as long as it is in my power but you have to go to sleep." 

Uther looks up to his servant, something was different about her, and there was something in his eyes. He agrees and Gaius with the help of a knight gets him to his chambers. Magdelena sits in the wooden chair that once sat Uther, and she looks at the young Pendragon. She takes a deep breath and enters his dream making him a nice once, not that she thought he was going to die she had full confidence in whatever Merlin had planned.

She placed them in a dark forest, the sky above was a mixture of purple and blue splattered with white dots that were stars. The trees were black and there was a slight breeze causing the ripple on the water to the far right, "Arthur Pendragon we meet again."

He wirls around shocked to see a very familiar woman, her hair seemed to be a pinkish color, her dress was long, flowy and white showing off her legs and ankles which had a small anklet of diamons which curved down her foot wrapping around her middle toes. The top of teh dress was tight and lacy, her hair which cascaded down her back in a pink waterfall was kept away from her face by a small tiarra type thing made of small good leafs. One ear held a feather cuff and the other a dimond stud. 

"I do not believe we have met before," he says swearing he would remember such beauty, her clothes changed for a second to the ones he remembers seeing when Merlin had been poisoned and she saved his life, "Saturn, or do you prefer Death?"

"Which ever you prefer," she says with a small smile, she wore nothin on her face only her natural beauty. 

"Am I dead?" he asks looking around, he expected heaven to look a little different. 

She lets out a small chuckle which was music to his ears, "No, though you are dying," she says honestly, "your manservant Merlin has plans to save you. Ones I am sure will work out in the end." 

"Then why are you here?" he asks surely death had more important things to do than visit partly dead men who weren't going to die at the moment. 

"I figured I would keep you company until you wake up," she says walking over to the water he follows standing next to her, her dress pushes back as the wind blows, she waves her hand and the scene of Gaius giving the liquid to his father could be seen, "Your father worries about you, almost refused to leave your side." 

"Who is watching me then?" he asks, Gaius was with his father in his chambers, Merlin was trying to find a cure for him, Morgana and her maid would never take on the task. She waves her hand again to show him in his bed, Magdelena sitting next to him, Baxon by her side must have arrived after she entered his dream world, "Magdelena." 

"Yes," she says staring at him from the corner of her eye, "I have seen your interations with her, have you seen the future that could be?"

"You mean when we get married and have children?" he asks and turns to look at him a small smile on her face, "Was that really the future?"

"That is one of the great things about seeing the future," Saturn says, "you can change it. You can choose to marry someone more your stature, someone who would make a great Queen of Camelot one day. Not some servant." 

"What what you say, she may be a servant but she would make a fine Queen," she looks at him with a curious look. 

"Your father would never allow such a union," she says, "Your marriage has to be for the good of Camelot." 

"Don't remind me," he looks out at the lake which was still the picture of him in bed Magdelena by his side, "Perhaps it would be better if I died."

"You're not going to die, Arthur," her voice was softer than he ever thought a voice could be, "I'm telling you because I know that one day you will be King. A greater king than you father could ever be."  

"You are going to live to be the man I've seen inside you, Arthur. I can see a Camelot that is fair and just," she closes her eyes as if she could really see the Camelot with him as King, "I can see a king that the people will love and be proud to call their sovereign. For the love of Camelot, you have to live." 

"I will fight until I can no longer, I will fight even if it hurts," he says and she smiles at him proudly, "If Death is telling me to live, it must mean something." 

Her chuckle filled him with slight joy, "I will see you again Arthur Pendragon," she says before turning into a light and shooting into the sky away from his view. He looks back at the lake to see Magdelena open her eyes and smile softly at him on the bed. 

"For the love of Camelot," she whispers into his ear making him smile at her in the lake before the image began to fade before he was just staring at his refelection in the crystal clear water. 

"For the love of Camelot."

Uther had entered and sat there as the sun set Magdelena felt the prince lose a small more of his life but less than he had been, he was fighting she realized. He was looking out the window when Gaius entered and walked up behind him looking out to the courtyard, "Is there anything I can get your majesty?"

"The people have begun to say goodbye," he sounded defeated as he watched the people outside the window.

"He's not yet gone, Sire," Gaius says trying to bring at least a little comfort to the King who had no reason to hope for anything.

"But he will not recover," Uther says glancing at his son, who lay motionless on his bed a new bandage around his chest. 

"Not without a miracle," Gaius says, there was no point in lying to the King he knew what was going to happen to his son.

"I don't believe in miracles."

Uther left the room, Gaius sent a sad glance to his niece and the Prince before leaving as well, hoping to be able to get to the King and give him a stronger sleeping draught to help him sleep somewhat peacefully.

Magdelena stood from her seat and walked over to the window to see the square filled with people holding candles as they stood looking at the window she stood at, a farewell. She closed her eyes and sent out a cold breeze which blew out all the candles making the people cry out in fear as their lights died. She sent the word 'hope' on the wind allowing it to fill the heads of the woman and men who stood there. 

"Some are born great Sire, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrusted upon them. William Shakespere