Chapter Four

04. Merlin And Magdelena Are Summoned

Merlin sulked in his room thinking about what his reward would mean, Gaius had gone back to comfort Merlin when there was a knock on the door to the outer chamber, "Merlin, Prince Arthur wants you right away!" she watches as Gaius comes out with a smile and Merlin soon follows going to the door and allowing the guard to lead him away, a moment later Guinevere walks in and smiles at Gaius who frowns a bit. 

"I do hope you are not here for yourself or the Lady Morgana," Gaius says and Guinevere smiles and shakes her head before turning to look at Magdelena. 

"Lady Morgana wishes to speak to you," Guinevere says and Magdelena looks a bit worried but stands and wipes the worriedness away before following Guinevere out of the chambers and towards where the Lady Morgana's chambers were, Guinevere, knocks before opening the door and allows Magdelena to walk in first which she does and is greeted by a smiling Lady Morgana at the wooden table 

"I am so glad Gwen got you at a good time. I am aware you help Gaius with his medicine," she says standing making Magdelena curtsy a bit before the Lady, but the Lady Morgana shakes her head with a gentle smile, "Please there is no need to curtsy-" 

"Magdelena," she says knowing that the Lady Morgana was asking what her name was, "You may call me Maggie if Magdelena is too much a mouthful, my Lady." 

"Thank you, Maggie," Lady Morgana says, "Now the reason I called you here was to ask if you would like to be my lady in waiting, Gwen does a wonderful job but she often is too tired and I would hate for you to grow ill." 

"I mean no offense, my Lady, but I am sure you could find someone more suited for such an important job," Lady Morgana sends her a smile. 

"I thought you would say that, well Gwen said you would," Lady Morgana smiles at the girl, "but I would like you. Gwen says you are often by yourself, I figured we all gain something." 

"Guinevere gets fewer chores, I receive two friends and a job," she says motioning to Guinevere and herself, "What do you, my Lady, get out of this deal? If you don't mind my asking." 

"I get to tease Arthur, and that is a whole nother level of enjoyment for me," Lady Morgana says with a sly smirk on her face at just the thought, though this confused the common girl who stared at her with such a glance, "Have you not noticed, Arthur watched you the entire time you bandaged his head, as well as before I entered which is from what Gwen saw."

"I am aware the Prince and his knights were talking about me, but it was nothing to do with anything as such you are implying my Lady," she says her hair falling to cover her face as her gaze goes to the floor. 

"You may not see it, but I do," Lady Morgana says, "Though I understand if you don't want to think about Arthur-" she is cut off as Utherwalks into the chambers, she watches as the girl shrinks into the shadows and out of the sight of Uther who doesn't seem to notice the girl. 

"Have you found another maid to help with the servant you have now?" he asks, his eyes land on the girl who seemed to shrink back even more as the gaze of the King stays on her, "Is this her?" 

"Yes," Morgana says, the King gives the girl a once over she wore the usual outfit she wore every day, a white shirt which tied above the chest, a blue skirt, with a vest like top which covered the shite shirt and doubled as a corset, with a matching blue piece of fabric over the three aprons she wore, and brown boots and some stocking under them to keep her legs warm.

"Very well," he says before turning and leaving the room, leaving a bitter taste in the mouth of Magdelena who now doesn't have a choice to be the second maid to the Lady Morgana as the King had just been told that she was the Lady Morgana's second maid. 

"When shall I start?" she asks, the Lady Morgana looks over at Guinevere who nods her head as if they had already planned this, so she turns to Guinevere. 

"I have to do her laundry," Guinevere says and Morgana perks up as if she remembered something important. 

"I would love some flowers," Magdelena bows her head once in understanding before heading out to the field, she heard metal on metal as she left Camelot, she turned to see the Prince and her brother, she laughed as her brother was knocked backwards wearing some ridiculous armor which seemed to be big on the lanky and tall boy, the sound of her laughter drew the Prince from staring at her brother to staring at her. At this moment she couldn't have cared less about the attention as Merlin clambered to his feet in an awkward way. 

"What are you laughing at!?" Merlin called, "Doesn't Lady Morgana have something for you to be doing!?" 

"I thought Morgana had a servant named Gwen," the Prince says as he looks at Merlin before turning to look at the girl only to find her a couple feet from him making him jump, and her to cover her mouth before she curtsies to the Prince. 

"I am helping her out as Gwen has been a little overworked, your highness," she says biting her lip as she stares at Merlin once more. 

"His head is big enough without you calling him 'your highness'," Merlin says making, Arthur goes to say something but her stops as he hears her laugh. 

"You can't talk to people like that," she says, Arthur looks over at Merlin smugly, "anyone really. Royalty or not." Arthur asks something to Merlin and takes the time to head towards the forest, by the time she realized it she was already out of sight picking flowers in a meadow she had found on one of her first days here. 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

It was the first day of the tournament she headed to the kitchen while Guinevere went to wake Lady Morgana up. When she arrived with the tray of food she was glad to see the Lady up and dressed sitting at the table, another dress was draped over the chair beside her, Guinevere looked at her apologetically. She placed the tray down and Lady Morgana handed her the dress, "Does this need to be sewn or washed?"

"No, this is for you to wear," Lady Morgana says while enjoying her meal, smiling as she ate a few grapes.

"Guinevere is in her normal clothes," Magdelena said motioning towards Guinevere who smiled at her kindly, "Why must I change clothes?"

"Gwen is trying to gain the attention of a servant," Lady Morgana focusing on Guinevere she could feel the growing attraction for Merlin coming from Guinevere.

"You fancy my brother," she says Guinevere looks taken back and tries to play it off, "I know you do. You don't have to pretend, many have found him attractive." 

"Why has no one tried to show their affection?" Guinevere asks a bit worried by the news. 

"I scared them off, none were good enough for my brother," she looks Guinevere up and down, "You and he would be a lovely match, I won't stand in your way, but I won't help unless I learn he likes you as well." 

"Thank you!" Guinevere says smiling widely before turning to the dress, "You should wear the dress though, you would look wonderful in it." sighing she goes behind the curtain and puts on the dress that was a bit out of her ranking, but she assumed if she was asked Lady Morgana would have a lie ready to tell them. She came out in the mostly black dress with gold trimmings, and a silk slit going down the middle of the dress, bands of gold circled her waist and mid-bicep. The sleeves were tight and wrapped around her middle finger to keep them up, another layer was loose and fell down the arm only connected to the gold band around her arms the inside was lined with the gold material. On her feet were gold shoes which weren't seen as the dress fell almost dragging on the floor. 

"You look beautiful," Lady Morgana gushed they each put on a cloak minus Magdelena who claimed the dress would keep her warm enough. She followed behind them, then took the seat next to Guinevere who was next to Lady Morgana.