Chapter Twenty-Seven

27. Sticks And Stone May Break My Bones But The Truth Doth Destory Me

Magdelena entered holding a basket of dirty clothes she placed them on her bed before reaching under and grabbing a bucket, she made her way back out the empty chambers and collected some water before heading back to the chambers where Gaius was helped Merlin pack, she figured that it was for a hunting trip with the Prince so she ignored them as she began to clean the clothes, "Magdelena?" a feminie voice saying her name made her look up to find her mother, a small smile graced her lips and a bruise sat on her eye. 

"Mother? What happened to your eye?" she asks droping the clothes and walking forwards, "Did someone in Ealdor smack you?"

"A man named Kanen, he has been talking our food," Hunith explains to his daughter, "Don't worry about us we are fine, Merlin is coming."

"I want to come and help too mother," she says, "I don't like the fact some bloodsucking ruffian smacked you so hard you now have a black eye."

"Magdelena, there is no reason to call people names," Hunith says, "You need to stay here I am sure you will have a lot of work to do helping Gaius with his patients with winter coming and all."

"I am actually the King servant now," she says leaving out everything they had learned about in the past time, "I am sure he would be fine with me leaving to help you out."

"Merlin is coming we will be fine," Hunith says smiling softly at her daughter before turning to Merlin to who she smiled lovingly at, "You stay here with Gaius."

"But mother I don't-"

"Magdelena, the people of Ealdor are terrified of you, you not knowing how to control you powers or what your powers are does not help," Hunith says sending a disappointed look at her daughter.

"I have learned more about my powers since I came to Camelot, Merlin has been helping me as well," Merlin nods at his mother with a smile as he has seen how much she had changed since he had arrived at Camelot.

"Magdelena it is out of the question," Hunith says, Magdelena reaches out to her mother with her powers and she can feel the fear she has for her own daughter, Magdelena's face hardens as she looks at her mother with a small glare.

"If you are scared of me then just say so," she hisses before going back over to the clothes as she begins to clean the clothes once again. Hunith was too shocked to say anything, Merlin stares over at his sister sadly, before he begins to pack once again Gaius helping him both sending looks over at the girl as she cleaned the clothes. 

She suddenly screams as a wet nose touches her hand and she jumps shocked to see Baxon she had forgotten about him, she had sent him off some time ago, three turne to look at her Gaius and Merlin smiled at the sight of the dog, calling him over to give him some love, "This is Baxon, Magdelena saved him from death and now he is her's." Merlin says smiling at the dog who trotted back over to his human who was glad he was here now.

"Did you ever try and see if he belonged to someone?" Hunith asks, "What he had a owner that has been looking for him and was worried?"

"He was in the water caverns of Camelot," Magdelena says her face hardening as she spoke to her mother, "He is dead, there was nothing I could do to save him so instead I gave him ever lasting life and he asked me to stay with me, and I agreed."

"You can speak with animals?" Hunith asks she shakes her head and mumbles something that Merlin and Gaius heard but so did Magdelena, she stood the clothes were suddenly clean and folded in the basket. She grabbed the basket and stormed from the room Baxon following her s she made her way to the Kings chambers. 

That night Gwen, Lady Morgana, Merlin and Hunith were stopped at a camp Merlin and Hunith were up sitting by the fire, "They shouldn't be here. Especially the Lady Morgana. Isn't she the King's ward?" Hunith breaks the silence.

"Not that you'd know it. Her and Magdelena are the only people I know who aren't frightened of him," Merlin admits sparing a glance towards the two sleeping girls before looking back at the fire. It went silent again, Merlin assumed it was because he brought up his sister.

"It won't make any difference to Kanen that they're women."

"I know. But I couldn't talk them out of coming," Merlin says with a smile as he thought about when he had found out they were coming. He looks at the bruise that was beginning to heal on her face, "I want to make him pay for what he did to you."

"Promise me you'll be careful. No one can find out about you." Hunith says looking over at her son worried that he would show his magic if it meant protecting her.

"They won't. They never do." they went into another silence and Merlin had held his tongue for too long already, "Why are you afraid of Magdelena."

Hunith closes her eyes, "She is dangerous, she has hurt people," Hunith says shaking her head, "I don't know if she meant it or not but she hurt them either way."

"She controls her powers more than I can," Merlin says, "She claims I have helped her but in truth we have helped each other I think. She has done amazing things in Camelot, she is so much different that she was in Ealdor at least now. She isn't as shy as she was when I first arrived."

"You should be careful around her, I don't want to see you hurt," Hunith says Merlin was confused, "You should rest." and like that the conversation was over.

Then next morning Uther was getting dressed with the help of Magdelena who was still rather peeved by her mother, but did her best to hide it, "Go fetch Arthur, make sure he is awake." Magdelena nods before leaving his chambers and heading towards the Prince's, she knocks on the door but there is no reply so she enters and there is no sigh of him.

"Baxon, see if you can find the Prince, stay in Camelot," she says tells him once he appeared beside her, he barks softly before heading out to find the Prince hopefully. Magdelena made her way to the armory where she caught sight of Sir Leon a knight that was close to the Prince. She walks over and taps his shoulder as he wore only a tunic. He turns shocked to see a female in the armory until he remembered she was the King's servant, "Have you seen the Prince this morning?"

"I haven't, Moris was the one who was supose to wake him up," she nodded before heading off to find the servant, who was in the kitchen looking rather worried. 

"Moris?" she asks and the servant jumps, "Was Prince Arthur in his chambers when you went to wake him this morning? You won't be in trouble."

"H-he was ab-absent," the servant says and she nods before heading to the Lady Morgana's chambers. She knocked a couple of times but there was no response so she entered and there was no sign of the lady, now worried she headed to the lower town to Gwen's house, she knocked and there was no sign so she went to Tom her father and a blacksmith. 

She arrived and saw Tom and ran up to him, "Where is Gwen?" she asks looking worried as she had an idea where the three missing people had gone, "She went with Merlin to Ealdor didn't she?" Tom looked at her but nodded slightly. She walked as slowly as she could towards the palace, Baxon came and informed her that there was no sign of the Prince in Camelot. 

She arrived at the council chambers and straightened herself as she entered Uther looking at her expectingly, "Prince Arthur went on a huniting trip or so I have been told," she says Uther nods taking her lie and accepting it. 

"Very well, you have chores to do I have no doubt go do them," she turns to walk away but Uther's voice stops her, "I am surprised you didn't return to your home with your mother."

"Ealdor is not my home, Camelot is," she says no more as she leaves the chambers and heads off to the stables to clean the King's horse's stall. Her mind praying that Merlin, Gwen, Lady Morgana and Prince Arthur were alright, and continued to be alright.