Chapter Twenty

20. In Which Uther and Magdelena Duel

Magdelena was sitting on her bed reading by the moonlight until she felt a summon not as Death but a summon. She slammed her book shut making Gaius jump at the sound before he went back to sleep as the woman appeared behind Uther who was feeling malicious and she feared the worst. Arthur walked in with some guards one was holding the young druid boy who stared at her, 'The Once and Future Queen' the boy's voice rang through her head making her stare at him confused.

'Shit. What is that supposed to mean,' she says into his mind but Uther seemed to hear her and forced her to shut up with a glare. Morgana was also being held by a guard, she wore commoners clothing and her red cloak, Magdelena sent the older woman a sad smile.

"Send the boy to the dungeons," the guard holding the boy and one other bowed before taking the boy out of the great hall and off towards the dungeons. Uther sends off the other knights leaving only the king, his son, his ward and his servant. He glared down at Morgana for a moment before he decided to speak, "All this time, you've been hiding the boy in my own palace. How could you betray me like this?"

"I would not see him executed," Morgana says, Magdelena can only smirk as she made eye contact with the woman sending her a wink, Morgana was slightly confused but didn't let the confusion make her forget why she was here.

"I've treated you like a daughter. Is this how you repay me?" Uther asks, Magdelena wasn't surprised he made everything personal, he was a pro at the guilt trip trick making someone feel awful for something they had done.

"I did what I thought was right," Morgana says standing up to her full height proud of her decision.

"You think it's right to conspire with my enemies against me?" he asks staring at her with a hurt yet angry expression.

"How can this child be your enemy? He's just a boy," Morgana says, she had never been more confused by Uther's actions and thoughts then she was at this moment.

"He is a Druid," Uther says although his reasoning affects her little.

"Is that such a crime?" Morgana asks staring at Uther hurt at his words as well.

"His kind would see me dead and this kingdom returned to anarchy and you would help them!" Uther's accusations were getting over personal and Magdelena wasn't having it she rubbed her temples.  

"Then punish me... but spare the boy. I beg you," Morgana says almost in tears at the thought of the boy being killed.

"Make arrangements for the boy to be executed tomorrow morning," Uther says to Arthur who looked hesitant in his orders but isn't given the chance to speak as Morgana speaks.

"No! Please. He's done nothing," Morgana rushes forwards her hands reaching out for Uther as if touching him would change his mind or make him understand her point of view.

"Let this be a lesson to you."

"You don't have to do this," Morgana begs him once more but he doesn't budge on his decision.

"Do you hear me? I want him executed at dawn," he says looking over at Arthur who just glanced between the two before he speaks,

"Yes, father."

"What have these people done to you?"Morgana marches towards Uther and grabs his arm,  "Why are you so full of hate?"

Uther grabs her throat and presses her against a chair back, "Enough! I will not hear another word! Do not speak to me until you are ready to apologize for what you've done."

"No that is enough from you," Magdelena speaks marching forwards and pulling the man off of Morgana send him a glare harsher than one he could ever hope to give someone, "You go too far, Uther Pendragon."