Chapter Fourteen

14. Man With Burnt Face Says What

Magdelena was freed a week later when Uther needed her to do his chores, she was unharmed and having not eaten or drunken anything she looked healthy and lively. Gaius was so angry at her he barely spoke to her for three days, Merlin was worried no one had said anything and Arthur had acted strangely when Merlin brought it up. She was in the stables when Merlin came in demanding that she come with him. She followed him to Morgana's room where she felt a bit woozy. 

Uther was with Gaius who sees her suddenly fall onto the floor, she says nothing when she sees Uther in the room but Gaius walks over to her and checks her over. As neither Merlin nor Gaius was aware Uther knew she was Death, nor that he was bound to her and she was bound to him, "Stop pretending to be ill! My ward is sick and possibly dying!" Uther snapped at her making her send him a snarky smile where she curled up her lip showing her teeth and closed her eyes shaking her head at him, "Why you ungrateful little cockroach!" he spits storming from the room making her chuckle.

"You really shouldn't vex him," Gaius says giving her a disapproving look. 

"I had to get rid of him," she says motioning towards Morgana, "Someone used magic and she will surely die should she not be healed." 

Merlin helps her stand along with Gaius as they get out of the room where Magdelena is able to stand and walk on her own. She makes her way to her room where she sits on her bed and reads waiting for Uther to summon her or for someone to come and ask her to do something, anything. 

Uther summoned her she figured he would sooner or later, "Can you save her?" he asks almost begging her she shakes her head, "What good are you!?"

"I will protect her should anyone try to harm her," she says, "I did not inflict this death, I can not save her." 

"Fine!" he snaps harshly waving her off, she felt bad but there was nothing she could do for the Lady Morgana. The only thing she could do was protect her from anyone with ill intent, she was walking through the courtyard when she saw Arthur speaking with some very ill feeling man, she sent him a glare when he spotted her but he was not shaken by it as he headed into the lower town. She watched him for a moment before she headed into the castle, she went into Gaius' chambers and called Baxton. 

"I want you to watch over Lady Morgana, don't attack but keep me informed on what happens in the room," the dog bows before running off to the Lady Morgana's chambers where he lays at her feet. 

She walked towards where she knew Uther was only to find the creepy man who she could now see was badly burnt kneeling in front of Uther. She walked forwards and stopped behind Uther, turning she glared at the man not listening to the conversation, "and my servant as well," she snaps from her glaring trance when she hears Uther offer her services. 

"I will not," she says sending him a bewildered glare. 

"Yes you will," Uther grits between his teeth she spits her tongue out at him while she follows her brother and the man with the burns - who Merlin whispered to her has a remedy to cure all ills. She helped Merlin bring his things into a guest room while he set up his equipment, as he placed the box near him he examined the materials.

"Yes...it was all originally designed for alchemy," the man says Merlin stands up looking slightly shocked.

"Making gold?" he asks making the girl scoff at his words, alchemy was more than just making gold. 

"You have an interest in science?" the man asks smiling a soft yet still creepy smile at her brother.

"Well, science is knowledge," Merlin says while the man speaks that it has the answers to everything, "Maybe. It can't explain love."

"So, you are in love?" the man sends a look over at the girl who sends him an icy glare making Merlin shake his head at his assumption. 

"No. I mean feelings, emotions," 

"You seem too bright to be just a servant," the man says as Merlin begins to fiddle with his things on the wooden table. 

"You seem too mysterious to be just a physician," Magdelena snaps at the man, who sends her a small curious glance before he ushered them towards Lady Morgana's room, where Uther and Gaius met them entering while he stared at the sleeping Morgana. Magdelena held onto her brother as she felt woozy once more but for the sake of not getting yelled at by Uther did her best to hide it. 

"Sire, I would be grateful if you could have everyone leave the room. I require peace and privacy," the man says still staring at the woman asleep. Uther of course agrees and ushers everyone out Gaius stays where he stood, "That includes you, Gaius."

"But I am eager to learn from your methods," Gaius says faking his innocence for the others, for he too didn't trust this man.

"Now is not the time for giving instruction. I will need all my concentration," the man says and Uther has him leave, Magdelena nods her head at Baxton who went under the bed when he heard the people coming into the room, which she was glad he had. Uther ushers the man out and she stands by his side raising an eyebrow at him. 

"You leave a stranger in the room of your ward?" she asks he sends her a small curious glare, "You trust too easily," she says no more as she walks away from the man who was getting ready to demand her return but Arthur walks up. They wait at the bottom of the stairs waiting to hear news about Morgana. 

'What will you do if he can't save her?' she asks sending a look to who Uther was confused as no one moved to look at her, he then realized she said it into his head with her thoughts. 

'I will have you make her passing easier,' he says staring up the stairs for a moment, 'If he fails you will kill her.'  she rolls her eyes at him before walking away which confuses him more as he goes to say something just as Edwin walks down the stairs and they all look at him waiting for the news. 

She waited a moment before she saw Baxton walking towards her informing of everything that happened in the room after everyone left, "I knew it was magic," she growled, "I fear what he plans to do it. I already know he plans to kill someone but who is still not clear." she says nodding at Baxton that he was free to go do what he wanted to do. Huffing she headed to Uther where she would be serving his meal.

Entering the dining hall she scowled at the sight of Uther and the man whose name she could have cared less about, "There you are Magdelena," he says she sends him a harsh glare but begins to serve the meal, dropping multiple things on the man's lap, "Magdelena!" 

"You're lucky I am serving him," she snaps at the king the man sends her a look meeting her amber eyes, "This filth doesn't deserve to be near Camelot." 

"You speak freely in front of the King?" he asks curiously, "I would never dare to be so bold to a man who holds the fate of your family in the palm of his hands." 

"You threaten my brother you swine," she asks before letting out a giggle, "excuse me I have chores to tend to." she leaves telling another servant to finish the meal as she walks to Uther's chambers where she begins to collect dirty laundry, and selecting his attire for the next day and setting out his night clothes. 

He barged into the room finding her he storms over to her throwing her to the floor her hands scrap on the stone floor causing them to bleed a bit, as did her knees she could feel the blood running down her legs slowly, "You are not to speak to me like that when I have guests! Even when I do not you are a servant and I am your king!" he yells at her, his face grows angrier as she begins to laugh at the man's words. 

"Uther Pendragon you are not my king, nor am I your servant," she says holding her hand out the book of death flies from its spot on his desk into hands, "I am your equal! We are bound together, not just a one-way street! Read the damn book before you decide to do something like hurt me." 

In a sudden, his hands sting and he sees the same scratches on his hands, as blood began to stain his pants starting at his knees. She says nothing as she storms from the bedroom and leaves him there staring at his bleeding hands.