Chapter Eight

08. Death Takes Some Time Off

Magdelena knew there was something wrong that morning, she felt sick, she had spoken to three dead people just last night, but there was something off about each of them. She felt woozy as she tried to stand, and ended up just laying on the floor next to one of the many tables in the room. Gaius and Merlin came back in with a wheelbarrow, with three dead people on it, she groaned at the sight, and felt even more sick with the bodies there, "Maggie, are you alright?" Merlin asks coming to kneel down next to her. 

"There is something wrong with these people," she says her voice sounded harsh like she had gargled glass shards, "Just don't be a foolish nit," she says before she begins to cough, and some blood comes with it.

Merlin looks at his sister worried but a knock on the door doesn't allow him to say anything, as he rushes to the door making sure that whoever was at the door wasn't able to come in or see the body which was currently directly in front of the door, Magdelena groaned but stood up, Gaius sent her a warning look, she was a sickly pale color, and her eyes were red, she had some blood on her lips but didn't seem to care or notice. 

She stumbled to the door the Prince looked at her in shock, "Is she okay?" he asks as she stumbled, she walked forwards ducking under Merlin's arm but he stopped her. 

"No, and she needs to get inside and rest," she sent him a glare over his shoulder and he released her, "Fine, just to the forest." 

"What! You can't let her go to the forest alone!" the Prince says, sounding offended at the mention of the girl going on her own,  "I don't know who she is to you but you can't allow her to venture on her own!" 

"She is right here. She is going to the forest. She-" she was cut off by a strong fit of coughing, more blood coming from her mouth dripping on her lip and arm which she had covered her mouth with.

"She is coughing up blood!" the Prince all but screamed, "Is she going to die?! Do I need to get the priest?! My father?! Gaius?!" the Prince was in a panic he opened his mouth to say more but her hand covered his mouth making him stop breathing altogether. 

"I am not going to die, no you don't need to get anyone, and I will be in the forest by myself," she says removing her hand from his, "and no I am not contagious," she says while walking along the wall until she was out of sight.

"Tell Gaius my father wants to see him now," the Prince says before leaving, he follows the direction the girl had gone, only to find her nowhere, she was no longer in the palace. He headed quickly to the throne room to his father. 

Magdelena was feeling better already, being far away from the sickness that had been going through Camelot. She relished in the forest, the clean air and the lack of death that seemed to be clinging in the air. She was planning on staying in the forest until the sickness was stopped she was happy in the darken shade the trees provided, the clearings were nice allowing the sun to warm her body as much as it could.

'Death, you are needed by your brother,' the voice of Kilgharrah the dragon that told her she was Death said into her head, she growled but made herself appear in the chambers where he and Gaius were doing something, she appeared behind them, she was lucky the knights or the Prince didn't see her enter, but being in such close proximity to the sick body she felt herself growing ill once more. 

She leaned on the table as she felt herself grow dizzy, everyone became aware of her presence when the room began to grow cold, she couldn't get her emotions into check and was allowing her emotions to go free. They all turned to her Gaius and Merlin looked worried as she clenched her cheeks, "I am-I am going to k-kill whoever did-did this." she says panting as she grew extremely hot. She peeled off her layers and was left in the blue skirt and white shirt, which was almost see thru as she was sweating.

"Where is - what is up there?" the Prince asked his face was tinted pink but no one in the room cared to comment on it as Merlin informed him that was his room. The Prince ventured up there, Gaius and Merlin whispered before the Prince called Merlin to see what he had found made both stiffen.

Gaius took this moment to walk over to Magdelena who was still leaning on the table as her breaths were shallow as she tried to catch her breath. She tried to say something but couldn't get anything but angry puffs of air from her mouth. Gaius helped her over to her bed where she laid down, she grew more sickly pale as she laid, the bodies sent waves of sickness to her. By the time the Prince and Merlin came out of the room she was gasping for breath, her face was white and clammy, her shirt was sticking to her body as her hair was sticking to her face. 

"Maggie," Merlin said rushing over to his sister grabbing her hand, "Magdelena you have to be alright," he says, the Prince watched the two interact, she nudged his arm softly as she was barely able to move. Her arm felt limp and her eyes closed, her breathing evened out and Merlin seemed to be relaxed a bit at the sight. 

"Did she just die?" the Prince asked as he stared at his servant and the girl he was a bit worried that the answer would be yes.

"No, just a coma," Gaius tells him and he looks at the two shocked as Merlin walks over to help Gaius once more, "It's for the best." The Prince had never been more confused in his life but said nothing but ordering his knights out after asking how long until the antidote would be ready. 

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"No, please. You've got to listen to me! Please, I haven't done anything wrong! You have to listen to me, please! I am innocent, I swear! Let me go! I swear to you!" the female voice calls, Magdelena can hear it even from her coma, "Merlin! Merlin, please help me! Why won't you listen to me?! Please listen to me!"

Merlin and Gaius enter their chambers Gaius lecturing Merlin about what he had done for Gwen, and the consequences of having used magic, their words sounded muffled and jumbled together, and Magdelena heard them like that until it was crystal clear, and she sat up in her bed, "Guinevere!" she screams, some glass vials nearby shattered from the high pitch scream. She turns on her bed and stands, and just stays there for a moment Merlin left the room looking worried and guilty for what he has done

"Maggie, my dear, are you alright?" Gaius asks approaching her slowly worried should he make the wrong move she would fall back down in sickness, "Do you know what is happening?"

"An innocent has been set to die, a wrong that can't be fixed," her voice sounded like the wind from a hurricane hollow loud and sweeping through Gaius with each word. He watched as she began to shake in and out of focus until she disappeared from the bedroom, Gaius took a deep breath and began to mumble about Hunith and her strange genetics. 

Gwen was sitting in the cell when she felt cold all of a sudden, she turned to see a woman, she floated in the air she had no shoes on, her skirt was black until mid-thigh where a cover of see-thru black material fell down past her feet, she had a black corset shirt on which was lace above the chest and had no sleeves, on her head was a black metal crown which looked almost like feathers. Her eyes had gray coloring and black charcoal cam from the corner of her eyes sweeping outwards, her lips were a bright blood red with a black outline. She stared at Gwen with an impassive look. 

"Who-who are you?" Gwen asked, the girl looked familiar but she couldn't put the face to a name or a name to the face. 

"I am Death," her voice was just as impassive as her face and Gwen didn't recognize the voice, "I have no come to kill you. You won't be killed, your time has not yet come. I will make sure you are not killed,"

"Why?" she asks before the woman goes to disappear and she smiles softly placing a cold hand on Gwen's cheek. 

"I have seen enough innocent people die, and I shall not allow it to go on any longer," the woman says, Gwen thanks the woman before she begins to go in and out of focus before disappearing once more, arriving at the still empty chambers of the court physician. Blinking she is back in her clothes that she was in before she went to speak with Gwen, then falls back on the floor as the world began to spin.