Chapter Twenty-Nine

29. Kanen Picks The Wrong Target

Merlin was getting ready to head out to battle, Arthur had left the building and he grabbed the small pendant and whispered his sister's name. He felt her presence far away and knew she would be there as soon as she could be. He heads out so the plan could begin, those men were going to be in for a surprise. They all begin to fight as the village is cut off by large flames leaving no exit for any of them. Magdelena can see the smoke and she runs through the forest no longer wearing the brown cloak and now sporting a sword she runs into the throng and begins to fight any who came at her.

She stops as she feels magic and sees a large sand tornado beginning to form and sweep away the competitors, many begin to flee or those who were on horses were forced to as their spooked horses run towards the forest away from the village. She smiled as she began to walk towards Will and Merlin when she was pulled from behind against a think amount of armor which dug into her skin through the rather thin clothes she wore, her sword was forced from her hand and a sword pressed against her neck, "Anyone who makes a move will be responsible for this woman's death!" 

Arthur's grip on his sword tightens, Will and Merlin turn to face the man sword pointed at him, Gwen and Morgana grab at each other scared for the woman's life, Hunith's hand goes to her mouth at the sight of her daughter close to death. 

"Kill her then!" one villager yells, "She has never done anything to help us! All she does is endanger us!" 

"No one seems to be on your side today," he whispers in her ear, "I would gladly allow a woman like you to join my crew." 

She pauses as she pretends to think about it, "I would rather die." she spits allowing some power to radiate off her as he sinks to the floor, "Of all the women in the town you picked the worst one to target." She grabbed her sword and ran it through his stomach, she pulls it out before turning to look at the villagers. 

"Next time I let him kill you all," she spits before throwing her sword on the floor and leaving the town, quickly arriving at her hut where she changes into her death from the same outfit that she had gone to Mathew in, she arrived to see the red form of Kanen over his body smirking at a hut which everyone was now frozen staring at. 

"Leave you swine," she says not offering him any words he turns shocked to see the girl he had just threatened.

"You are the one I threatened, you are Death," the man laughs cruelly, "No wonder those people wanted you dead."

"You know not of what you speak and neither do they know who I am," she says, "Now leave I won't ask you again." he goes to say more but instead he screams as he turns into a pile of ash and floats away. Feeling a life being lost she waves her hand and allows the scene to play out, she goes into the hut, and gasps at the sight of Will in a blue ghost from staring at a very sad Merlin who was now alone as the Prince had left the hut just before he died.

"Will, I never would have wished you dead, if I had stayed and not allowed their words to hurt me I could have saved you," she says tears falling down her face as Will looks at her with shock. 

"You are Death?" he asks, "I have never been more excited by death before in my life." she chuckles at his attempt of humor. 

"I am so sorry Will," she says sadly but he just floats over to her and grabs her hands bringing them up to his lips to kiss. 

"Watch out for Merlin, and tell him I understand why he won't tell the Prince his secret," Wil says he goes to disappear but she grabs him and brings his face to her kissing his lips his smile widens as he turns into lights and leaves the world making her cry once more. 

She goes back to her hut before she grabs her cloak and turns it black before leaving her hut and heading back to the town to see Merlin about to light the fire for Will, she lets another tear fall as she sneaks next to Merlin and grabs his hand, he looks over and smiles at her, "He said he understands why you can't tell the Prince your secret. He wanted me to tell you."

"Thank you, Maggie," he says kissing the top of her head before he turns to look back over at the fire, she watches it as well closing her eyes and allowing herself to feel his lingering presence. 

The next morning Magdelena was standing by their horses Merlin raised an eyebrow at her, "Uther didn't give you a horse?" he asks and she shrugs her shoulders sending him a mind link he sent her as death so she didn't need a horse to get there, but they forgot about the way back, "You can ride with me." He holds down his hand and she jumps onto the back of his horse and rides with them as they make their way towards Camelot.

"Maggie, why didn't the villagers like you?" Gwen asks staring at the girl confused, Maggie seemed like a sweet girl and never understood why they didn't like her.

"Just didn't I guess, I don't remember giving them a reason to hate me to be honest," she says Merlin never understood it either and was glad his friend Will hadn't felt the same way, "They just woke up one morning and hated me."

The group arrived at Camelot and Lady Morgana and Prince Arthur were summoned to the King as soon as they arrived at their chambers. The three servants wished them luck before they headed to their houses and began to unpack, Gaius asked about the trip and Merlin explained everything while Maggie sat on her bed and read a book while Baxon laid next to her his head resting on her thigh as he rested.