Part 17

Amy slowly pulled away and opened her eyes. Jake looked at her eyes with that same love and passion that he always had. It became hard for her to deny that no matter how many excuses she made and pushed him away... she was always going to love him.

"That was... ahh...Im sorry... that was a mistake," shattered Amy as she tried to push Jake away.

"Why are you still lying to yourself. We both know that whatever this is that you think is the best thing for us isn't right."

"I don't know what I have to say to make you realise that... breaking up with you was the hardest thing I had to do but it was also the right thing to do."

"Amy, look me in the eye and tell me that. I know you can't because that is not how you feel. I will only truely believe that when you can say it without that sadness in your eyes," said Jake.

Just then the doors open for the life and Boyle, Terry and Roza stood there with hopeful eyes. Disappointment showed on their faces when they saw Jake and Amy standing far apart.

"What... what happened," started Boyle but stopped as Amy walked away.

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

"Hey Jake," called Sophia.

She came and sat down on the chair next to him.

"I tried calling you but couldnt get through. Want to grab some dinner or something?"

"Sophia, we need to talk. I know I should have done this earlier but I... I couldn't," replied Jake.

"Oh boy sounds serious. Ok, I know that me coming back into your life must not be easy. I also know that there were somethings that we really didn't get to discuss around our breakup... like the whole you telling me that you love me," started Sophia. "I know that the way I handled it all wasn't... well the best but I also know that being away from you for all this time, i could only think about you."

"Sophia, this all is not as simple as it was before. You left and I was so broken up about it. But then I had to move on," Jake responded.

At this Sophia stopped and looked at Jake. She was trying to work out if he was telling the truth or messing with her.

"I expected you to have moved on... But when you love someone, it isn't as easy to stop loving them and leave. I get that and its ok. I just want us to get a second chance at what we had. I love you, Jake."

//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~//

"What do you think about it?" asked Roza.

"I don't know. I don't want to talk to him about this all because I know that it will just make things worse, but..." started Amy.

"Before you go on... just want to let you know that I was talking about the case and not Jake," pointed out Roza.

"Oh, yeah ok sure. Well, we have some information on Phil's involvement with this case but we cant really proof much with that all as like Sophia would say 'that isn't enough to proof my client is guilty'," mocked Amy.

"I have Boyle look into Phil's girlfriend as he may have been using her in his work."

"Yeah but she doesn't seem like the kind to get pushed around by him."

"Maybe she is also involved in this all. That's why it has always been so hard to get him on anything."

"OMG, how did we not see this all before. I mean it was all right in front of us."

"We need to change our direction for this investigation."

Amy and Roza quickly rushed to find Jake. They came to a stop when they spotted him in the bull-pin with Sophia. There was a sinking feeling in Amy's stomach but she pushed it away and taking in a deep breath, she walked over to them.

"Jake, we need to talk," interrupted Amy. "Sophia, sorry but this is case related. Can I borrow your boyfriend for one minute?"

Sophia gave her a smile and then grabbed Jakes hands. "Sweetie, we have a lot to talk about. How about you come over tonight and I'll cook you dinner?"

"Yes, we have to talk and this isn't over yet. Ill see you later," replied Jake turning to Amy and Roza.

Before he could say anything to them, they had walked off into Captain Holt's office.

"Ooookkkk."

"Captain, we may have a lead that may help us catch this guy for good. We were so focused on catching him and finding his wrong doings that we forgot someone," started Amy.

"Aaaakkk, get to the point Santiago," snapped Roza. "What she is trying to say is that we didn't look into the girlfriend. She must know what he does. No one can be together for over 6 years together and not know that there boyfriend is a killing drug dealer and what else."

"And what has been your cause of action so far?" asked Holt.

"We had Boyle look into her. As soon as we get some information about her, we can go and bring her in for questioning," stated Jake.

"Be careful, we can't have them start to suspect that we know about her involvement. They are smart, they will find a way to cover this all up," warned Holt.

They all agreed. Amy looked at Jake and wished she could go up him and just talk. Jake seemed not like himself. No joke on the situation... Their breakup much really have bothered him. But soon he would be Sophia and he would forget about them.