아홉

9

Hiding Behind the Curtain

...

Book 26 is killing me. It's amazing. 

The kind of book you literally cannot put down, the kind that speaks to your soul, the kind that makes you almost walk chest first into the tall, handsome CEO.

Thank God Jinseo grabbed my arm in time.

We had both bowed in apology and scuttled off around the corner, my colleague flashing me a look of mock horror. Her eyes wide and tiny mouth morphing into an O. 

As I looked back he was getting into the elevator... with a smirk on his face.

Whatever.

The point is that Book 26, is golden.

Three hundred pages in, only thirty more to go. Kiah, Jinseo and I had decided to work over time to finish everything before the weekend. Our triplet of desks as active as if it were still light outside, our lamps and computer screens the only source of illumination in the otherwise dim space.

Kiah's petite hands tapping on her keyboard are the only sounds resonating in the room, her eyes concentrating on her screen. Jinseo sits like I do, book in hand.

I have to find out whether the lead chooses the fire fighter or the lawyer. The love or the security, which will she go for?!

I'm so engrossed that I don't notice the figure walking towards our desks.

"Annyeonghaseyo daepyonim [hello CEO/Mr Park]!"

"Kiah, I need the summary for-"

She picked the fire fighter! But she can't get a hold of him why-

"Of course, I have it here, shall I-"

He's still inside the burning building! He's wounded-

"Yes, gomabseubnida [thank you]. How is-"

He can't answer the phone because he's dying! HES DYING-

"Mr Jang has the papers-"

"Oh my god..... He's not dead is he?!" I quickly turn the page ready to read on when I realise.

I said that out loud.

I notice the sudden silence in the vicinity and look up to meet eyes with first my grinning colleagues and then of course. 

The tall, handsome, CEO. 

First I notice that smirk again, then I notice the way he's leaning close with his hand on the desk,

Then I noticed the way I'm sat. Eyes inches from the book, body against the edge of my desk, hunched down, wanting the book to swallow me whole.

I'm still half bewildered when I speak, "Mr Park..."

"Good book?" Wait. Was that a hint of.... condescension? Oh hell no.

I take a second to get my bearings before answering bluntly, "buy the rights." I straighten up and extend my arm, handing him the book. 

He straightens up and blinks, "...You send the summaries to Mr Jang, he decides whether the book is ours... not you." 

Yep, definitely condescending. 

I see his look of amusement from my bold outburst, eyebrows slightly furrowed and lips parted, a smile threatening to make a reappearance. Standing up, I hand him the book,

"This is the best book I've read in my life, it's incredibly good. I could send a summary to Mr Jang, he'll read it and it'll go in the pile,"

I nod my head at the seniors desk, papers scattered everywhere,

"Maybe you'll receive it in a few months or-" I scoff, "a few years. Or  we could save you time and money, and you could just buy the rights now, before somebody else does."

I keep my eyes locked on his as I speak, book sat comfortably in my hand thats still holding it out to him. 

Now a different look washes over his face, almost the same as when we had first spoken.

After a moment, he looks away to look at the book instead. He nods in approval as he takes it from me.

Except I don't let go.

I haven't finished reading it yet.

He looks at me and smirks, "have you changed your mind Dr Alim?"

At the mention of my previous title I'm shaken out from any pretence I was in. My face falls blank and I let go of the book, stepping back,

"No, you should buy the rights." My voice doesn't come out as strong as before this time.

Picking up my bag and coat, I'm painfully aware of how badly I need to leave this room, "I'll send you the summary before Monday."

Bowing my head to him, and flashing a weak smile at my friends, I head out of the office, before anyone else can question my sanity.