스물 여덟 (1)

28 (Part 1)

You Don't Belong Here

...

Dark.

The first thing that registers is the darkness in the room when I open my eyes. Hardly any light, save for the soft glow coming from my phone. My phone that appears to be ringing on my bedside table.

Absentmindedly, I turn onto my side and pick it up, my body still numb and warm under the duvet.

I answer the call without thinking, my voice coming out slurred,

"Hello?"

Clearing my throat I sit up in bed and turn my lamp on, waiting for the voice on the other end of the line.

Except nothing comes.

I exhale as my eyes squint in the yellow light, trying to see the screen.

+44 6587329780

My eyes widen as my breath hitches in my throat.

+44... that's from the UK.

I quickly put the phone back to my ear, my left hand squeezing a fistful of the duvet, any numbness from before dissipating, due to the adrenaline now coursing through me.

I don't know how long I waited, but when the voice at the other end finally spoke, a fresh and dangerous bout of terror cut right through me.

"... I thought I blamed you."

As I listen I notice that I'm shaking, my vision now clear and crisp as my body figures out what it has to do to survive under this threat.

I say nothing back as my eyes flicker to my curtains, my heart beating as though I was sprinting.

What if he found me?

Continuing this irrational thought, I get out from under the covers, the chill in the room caressing my arms and feet, goosebumps covering my skin.

His painfully familiar voice almost makes me wince as he continues to speak,

"I think I still do, but..."

Slowly, my hands shaking, I inch open the side of the curtain to reveal the street. Relief flows through me like a temporary soothing balm, as I see nothing and no-one out there. Just the usual white bloom from the street light, bouncing off of the trees and concrete in the dark.

He exhales slowly.

My eyebrows are furrowed in terror as I continue to breathe shallow, quiet breaths.

But when he speaks again, it seems as though I'm not the only one who is shaking.

"She left a note... Did you know that?"