ch2

I sit at the lunch table alone, unwrapping my sandwiches. Five minutes later, someone sits opposite me. I glance up, and straight into the eyes of Daniel.

"Scott!" He exclaims as he sits, "I haven't seen you in forever". I laugh at his dramatics.
"I know, the summer holidays just weren't the same without you. Did you have a good time in Rome atleast?"

"Yeah, I guess it was alright," He replies, taking out his lunch from his bag, "It was better than sitting in a classroom, that's for sure".

Daniel Webster, my best friend - my only friend. You can imagine that summer without him was super lonely and boring. The only entertainment I had the whole summer was when I spoke with him on the phone, or sometimes spoke on the phone with my friend Katherine from back where I used to live.

We sit for 5minutes talking, when the door swings open. Tessa throws the cafeteria doors open and sways in, Bella on her right and Elizabeth on her left. She is really one for the dramatics.

They sashay towards the popular table. When they get there, Tessa immediately drops her backpack, sits on the football captains lap, Nathan, and kisses him furiously. Gross.

I watch Elizabeth as she looks at them, uncomfortably. She eventually sits down at the table and starts a conversation with one of the footballers, Chris. It seems natural, she's obviously good with people.
I turn my attention away from them and continue talking to Daniel.

The end of the day finally arrives. I walk out the doors and towards the bus stop. As I wait for the bus to come, I hear attention seeking voices to my left.

When I turn, I see Tessa playing with her red hair, facing Elizabeth.
"You have to try out". Tessa demands.
"Trust me Tess, I suck, i'll bring down the whole team" Elizabeth pleads.
Already calling her "Tess". Jesus, it's only been a day.

"The thing is, Elizabeth, if you want to be friends with me, you have to become a cheerleader. It's just the way it is". Tessa states crossing her arms, "And trust me, being my friend is not something you want to pass up".

Elizabeth stares at her for a few seconds, not saying a word, then takes a breath.
"Okay". She eventually agrees. Tessa smirks at her out of victory, before looking back down at her phone.

Why is Tessa spending so much time on Elizabeth? She never spends this much time on anyone, not even Bella. A little confused, I get on the bus and head home.

***

The next morning, as I get off the bus and am about to walk into school, a flash of blue catches my eye. I turn my head and see Elizabeth in a blue cheer outfit, on the ground stuffing her pompoms into her Storm High cheer bag. I roll my eyes at the sight in front of me. Tessa convinced her to join the cheer squad. Speak of the devil...

"Lizzy". Tessa calls to her from away on the other side of the parking lot, striding towards her with Bella. Elizabeth stands, leaving her open bag on the ground.

"Hey, Tess". she calls back. Tessa and Bella eventually reach her after strutting their way through the whole of the parking lot. Tessa offers her a quick smile before they walk past her and continue their stride into the school.

"Keep up, Elizabeth!" Tessa calls over her shoulder to a confused looking Elizabeth. After hearing this, she gets down on the ground and zips up her bag as quickly as possible, before throwing it over her shoulder. She runs a little to join the two and gets into the rhythm of their confident walk.