| S I X T E E N | Promise Part Two.

An awkward silence stretched out. None of us moving, let alone talking. I sucked in a breath, and I twirled a strand of hair between my fingers, awkwardly sipping my hot chocolate through a thin, black straw. My eyes were trained on the table, staring at Alona's tan fingers that tapped on the table.

This had never happened. There had never been an awkward moment that passed between the three of us. We were always so comfortable around each other, that there was nothing to be even remotely embarrassed about. 

"This is awkward." Alona admitted, lifting her coffee to her lips.

I forced a laugh to come, feeling heat rise to my face for some reason. Myles shrugged his shoulders, not saying anything. His hand rested on my knee, which bounced up and down repeatedly.

Alona checked the time on her phone, frowning once she realized she didn't have a reason to leave, "You guys should say something. I'm bored out of my mind and I can't bear this much awkwardness. I mean, why is it even awkward? We've done this hundreds of times, sitting in Screamin' Beans, sippin' our coffee--well, I mean, you have hot chocolate, Lyla. Anyways, this is crazy--" Her hand flew to her mouth, and she knew she'd been rambling. She tended to that when she was nervous, talk about the first thing that popped into her mind.

I rolled my eyes, and Myles shrugged again, "You don't need to do that, you know." He said quietly, "I mean, fill the silence. You don't need to." He added, scooting his empty cup to the center of the table.

"I know. I just don't know what to say to you. You're just so quiet." She shudders at the word, bringing her hands up to protect her.

The hot chocolate is snatched from in front of me, leaving me sipping air from my straw. I look over to find that Myles has it in his hands, taking a sip from my drink. "At least we know you still love to steal beverages." I mumble under my breath, pushing my ponytail behind my shoulder.

Myles gives me a quick wink before he realizes what he did. He let down a small wall that he'd built ever since his parent's death. My heart fluttered, I didn't realized how much I'd missed his winks, or his snarky comments, and him stealing my drinks. 

He turned back to Alona, "You can talk to me about anything, you guys." He said, turning to from Alona to me in a quick second, "You guys are my best friends, you," he turns to me, moving his hands to gesture what he meant, "you're my girlfriend. You guys know almost everything about me. Nothing is off-limits."

My mouth drops open. This was the most he had said to either of us in over three weeks, I was surprised he was even able to to. Alona coughed and smiled at him, brushing her wild curls over her shoulder.

"Well, in that case, if you aren't able to answer anything because you aren't ready, tell us. We won't pressure you into to talking to us if you aren't ready." She says coolly, checking the time once again, "And on that note, I have to get to class. I'll see you guys later?" We both nod, and I give her a small wave before she stalks out of the coffee shop, sipping her drink as she let's the door close softly behind her.

Myles moves his hand from my knee to my thigh while he shifts in his seat to face me. His expression is guarded, like he didn't want me to know how he felt about this whole situation with his parents. 

"I know I've been acting weird," he says, setting my now empty cup back on the table, and letting his other hand fall on top of the one already on my leg, "I know I've been closed off, and quiet. Trust me, I know. But You need to know that my feelings towards you haven't changed." he shakes his head at me, "And quite frankly, I don't think they ever will. Like you said, this is forever, baby."

I laugh at my own words, slipping my hand in between the two of his. I love you. Three short words almost rolled off of the tip of my tongue. I so desperately wanted to tell him how I felt. I almost did. I swear I almost did, but when I opened my mouth to talk, Myles flashed me a sad smile, bringing me back to the real world, and out of my thoughts.

I looked down at our pile of hands sitting on my leg, "Promise me it's forever. I don't want to lose you because of what you're going through, you cannot push me away." 

He raises his pinkie finger in the air, and I quickly raise mine to hook around his big one. 

"I promise you I won't ever push you away. Not even if I wanted to."

I smile at him, "Forever, baby?"

"Forever baby."

***

=D -Arrow